Subject: Bug#531221: okular: Arbitrarily enforces DRM

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:24:17 -0500

Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2009-05-31, Mike Hommey <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Both these propositions make the "feature" pointless. The only sensible
>> options is to dump it entirely, as you are suggesting below.
> 
> Actually an advisory dialog (which could be turned off) would make some sense.
> ("The author of this PDF document didn't mean to allow you $foo, do you want
> to continue anyway?  Abort Continue")
> 
> Then a) you are aware that there are restrictions on the document, so if
> you b) pass it on to people who cannot turn off DRM restrictions (like to
> print it for you) you can take additional action to strip DRM.

That would seem a quite reasonable compromise to me, as a default
option.  You can still have a checkbox in preferences for complete
enforcement if there is somebody that really wants it, and leave it off
by default.

What do you think, Pino?

-- John