Subject: Bug#532413: coreutils: cp fails on SMBFS mount due to error on EOPNOTSUPP

From: Arthur Marsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:05:09 +0930

Package: coreutils
Version: 7.4-2
Severity: normal

This report was originally reported as Debian Bug#532153 against
smbfs, and the maintainer suggested that a bug be filed against coreutils.

When trying to do a cp -af from a local file to an
SMBFS-mounted share where the server filesystem has been
mounted with acl support, I get the following error on strace:

strace cp -af /usr/share/kernel-package/po ./debian/po

[excerpt follows]

lchown("./debian/po/po", 0, 0)          = 0
llistxattr("/usr/share/kernel-package/po", (nil), 0) = 0
llistxattr("/usr/share/kernel-package/po", 0x7fff766ffd00, 0) = 0
getxattr("/usr/share/kernel-package/po", "system.posix_acl_access", 0x7fff766ffbd0, 132) = -1 EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not supported)
setxattr("./debian/po/po", "system.posix_acl_access", "\x02\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x07\x00\xff\xff\xff\xff\x04\x00\x05\x00\xff\xff\xff\xff \x00\x05\x00\xff\xff\xff\xff", 28, 0) = 0
removexattr("./debian/po/po", "system.posix_acl_default") = -1 EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not supported)
write(2, "cp: ", 4cp: )                     = 4
write(2, "preserving permissions for `./de"..., 43preserving permissions for `./debian/po/po') = 43
write(2, ": Operation not supported", 25: Operation not supported) = 25
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
close(0)                                = 0
close(1)                                = 0
close(2)                                = 0
exit_group(1)                           = ?

The cp command fails even though the file was copied to the destination,
and the script that called the cp command also failed.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 (SMP w/2 CPU cores; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_AU.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages coreutils depends on:
ii  libacl1                       2.2.47-2   Access control list shared library
ii  libattr1                      1:2.4.43-2 Extended attribute shared library
ii  libc6                         2.9-13     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libselinux1                   2.0.71-1   SELinux shared libraries

coreutils recommends no packages.

coreutils suggests no packages.

-- debconf-show failed