Subject: Bug#542120: alsamixer: recognize permission problem

From: Maximilian Gass <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:14:23 +0200

Package: alsa-utils
Version: 1.0.20-2
Severity: wishlist

currently, when you start alsamixer without being allowed to use the sound
devices (like not being in the audio group), you get a Device not found error.

It would be nice if alsamixer recognized the EPERM it gets when opening the
sound device and displays it to the user. It could even hint at the audio group,
if the user is not a member of it yet.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (200, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.30-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages alsa-utils depends on:
ii  libasound2                1.0.20-3       shared library for ALSA applicatio
ii  libc6                     2.9-24         GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libncurses5               5.7+20090803-1 shared libraries for terminal hand
ii  linux-sound-base          1.0.20+dfsg-1  base package for ALSA and OSS soun
ii  lsb-base                  3.2-23         Linux Standard Base 3.2 init scrip
ii  module-init-tools         3.9-2          tools for managing Linux kernel mo
ii  whiptail                  0.52.10-4      Displays user-friendly dialog boxe

Versions of packages alsa-utils recommends:
ii  alsa-base                  1.0.20+dfsg-1 ALSA driver configuration files
ii  pciutils                   1:3.1.3-2     Linux PCI Utilities

alsa-utils suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information