Subject: alevt: please implement a channel browser for DVB

From: Philipp Kern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:43:30 +0200

Package: alevt
Version: 1:1.6.2-1
Severity: wishlist

When I fire up alevt against my DVB device I get this:

pkern@simplex:~$ alevt -vbi /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 
alevt: SDT: service_id 0xa569 not in PAT

Service ID 0x6d70 Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             ZDFtheaterkanal"
  PMT PID 0x044c TXT: PID 0x0276 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x6d66 Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             ZDF"
  PMT PID 0x0064 TXT: PID 0x0082 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x6d6d Type 0x02 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             DLF"
  PMT PID 0x0320 TXT: PID 0x1fff lang  type 0x00 magazine 0 page   0
Service ID 0x6d6c Type 0x02 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             DKULTUR"
  PMT PID 0x02bc TXT: PID 0x1fff lang  type 0x00 magazine 0 page   0
Service ID 0x6d71 Type 0x02 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             Dok&Deb"
  PMT PID 0x019b TXT: PID 0x1fff lang  type 0x00 magazine 0 page   0
Service ID 0x6d6e Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             ZDFdokukanal"
  PMT PID 0x028a TXT: PID 0x0276 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x6d6b Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             ZDFinfokanal"
  PMT PID 0x0258 TXT: PID 0x0276 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x6d68 Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             KIKA"
  PMT PID 0x012c TXT: PID 0x014a lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x6d67 Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             3sat"
  PMT PID 0x00c8 TXT: PID 0x00e6 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0
Service ID 0x2b66 Type 0x19 Provider Name "
                                           ZDF vision" Name "
                                                             ZDF HD"
  PMT PID 0x17d4 TXT: PID 0x1fff lang  type 0x00 magazine 0 page   0
Using: Service ID 0x6d70 Type 0x01 Provider Name "
                                                  ZDF vision" Name "
                                                                    ZDFtheaterkanal"
  PMT PID 0x044c TXT: PID 0x0276 lang deu type 0x01 magazine 1 page   0

So this means that alevt is already able to learn all the available channels from the Service Description Table.  Now it would be great if one would be able to just choose a channel from a list (with some whitespace stripping) because the first one is not always the one where the DVB player is currently tuned to.  (As there are multiple on one frequency.)
Of course a workaround would be to have a button in the player to invoke alevt with the right channel information (probably the PID because it's known to the program anyway).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.31-rc6-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages alevt depends on:
ii  libc6                  2.9-25            GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libpng12-0             1.2.39-1          PNG library - runtime
ii  libx11-6               2:1.2.2-1         X11 client-side library
ii  makedev                2.3.1-89          creates device files in /dev
ii  udev                   0.141-2           /dev/ and hotplug management daemo
ii  zlib1g                 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-15 compression library - runtime

alevt recommends no packages.

alevt suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information