Subject: Bug#549880: debian-installer: hungs with unstruted sources

From: Robert Henney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 21:32:13 -0400

Package: debian-installer
Severity: important

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 10:27:43PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is still a bug, since it happened with an etch
> 4.0r4 i386 business-card image, but I don't know how to reproduce it, so
> I reported it anyway.  Feel free to close it :-)

I can confirm that this problem still exists in 5.0r3 powerpc netinst.

I have an iMac G3 on which this occurs at every install attempt, so it's
very reproducible here.  because of that I have not been able to get
lenny installed on it.

there is one thing about this machine that may be a clue:
the hardware clock on the machine appears to have reset to Jan 1 of some
year, probably 1970 but without a date command installed it's hard to
tell.  the system time being so far off might be confusing something in
the installer, but I can't begin to guess what.

---

From: Luca Capello <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:18:03 +0200

forcemerge 501723 549880
thanks

Hi Robert!

> Package: debian-installer

Whenever replying to an existing bug, please reply to the bug number as
explained at

  http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#followup

With this mail, I have merged your new bug (#549880) with the original
one I submitted (#501723), no need for two different bugs for the same
issue.

> the installer, but I can't begin to guess what.

I had similar problems WRT the hardware clock, as I explained at

  http://bugs.debian.org/501367

You can easily reset the hardware clock removing the internal battery
and leaving the machine off 2/3 days IIRC.  I am not sure, but I think
that I have looked at the d-i logfiles at that time and the problem
seemed to be related to the RTC not being available or broken.  I do not
have anymore the d-i logfiles, so I can not confirm this.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca