Subject: Bug#554163: Bug #554163: Should import gqview preferences when migrating from gqview -> geeqie

From: The Wanderer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:51:32 -0500

On 12/14/2009 04:09 AM, Michal Čihař wrote:

> Hi
> 
> Dne Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:38:12 -0500 The Wanderer
> <[email-masked]> napsal(a):
> 
>> However, I have not yet been able to confirm whether or not this
>> menu entry actually does that migration. I would not expect it from
>> the name ("metadata" to me refers to things like size tags and
>> "what program created this file" and "where I was when I took this
>> picture" information, and is per-file not per-program; I would
>> expect the ~/.gqview/ information to be called "configuration"),
>> and as far as I can tell, the geeqie Help manual does not even
>> mention this menu item, much less explain what it does.
> 
> Yes it's really just for metadata not for configuration.

That doesn't make any sense. AFAIK GQView never tagged files with
anything, and even if it did, a program which can understand such data
should read it automatically from the image file instead of needing to
explicitly "import" it; it might make sense to need to re-write the
metadata in a new format, but that isn't what "import" would mean.

I therefore now have no idea what this menu entry does, and am still
looking for a way to migrate configuration (as would be necessary for
geeqie to be considered a proper single-line-of-descent replacement for
gqview).

(...also, completely off the topic, why does the Debian BTS mail
notification not set the reply-related headers sensibly? It's almost
never going to be appropriate to reply just to the person who wrote the
comment, rather than to the bug, and if you're replying to the bug then
the person who wrote the comment is almost certainly going to be getting
a copy anyway.)

-- 
       The Wanderer

Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any
side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.