Subject: Bug #593546: downgrade severity

From: Ben Pfaff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:38:28 -0700

severity 593546 normal
thanks

To summarize my understanding, originally Daniel Schepler
<[email-masked]> reported this bug against openmpi.  Then
Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <[email-masked]> showed that
it was an Autoconf regression and patched openmpi to avoid the
problem.  Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]> pointed out
that the patch also changed openmpi from using an undocumented
m4sh interface to using a documented one, but that it was still a
bug that should be fixed.

Based on these facts, my reading is that this is not a "serious"
severity bug, because software should not depend on the stability
of undocumented interfaces.  I do not think that much software
does depend on the interface in question; otherwise, there would
be more than one bug report about it.  Thus, I'm downgrading this
bug to "normal" severity (with this email).

If there were an upstream fix to this bug, I'd consider applying
it.  But based on a glance at the v2.67..v2.68 diffs, I don't
think there is an upstream fix yet.

If my analysis is wrong, let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.
-- 
Ben Pfaff 
http://benpfaff.org