Subject: Please provide a more friendly/useful message instead of "Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance."

From: Andras Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:57:44 +0200

Package: parted
Version: 2.3-2
Severity: wishlist
Tags: upstream

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a partition on a disk with a GPT.

I have a partition that ends at sector 501535; that was apparently fine
performance-wise, because parted printed no warning.

Now I would like to create a new partition, starting from sector 501536, but
parted tells me that's not optimal. It doesn't tell me what _would_ be
optimal, even though it could.

Seeing that I started parted with -a optimal, which supposedly automatically
aligns partitions optimally, it'd be great if it could at least tell me what
the nearest "optimal" sector to the one I chose is.

The only workaround I found was to switch to some unit larger than sectors,
which resulted in the beginning of the new partition to be shifted forward
by 224.

Please either print the suggested "optimal" value or even offer to use that
instead of what the user supplied.

Thanks.

Andras

-- 
 Andras Korn <korn at elan.rulez.org> - <http://chardonnay.math.bme.hu/~korn/>
                Feet smell? Nose runs? Hey, you're upside down!