Subject: root password mismatch

From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 01:24:31 +0100

Package: installation-reports

Installing amd64 as a domU in xen

At the first prompt for root password, just hit enter

At the second prompt, type a password

No password-mismatch error is displayed, installer proceeds to setting 
up a user account

Once rebooted, root login impossible using blank password or the 
`repeat' password

Mount the root fs (e.g. from dom0 or another OS), inspect /etc/shadow:

root:!:14932:0:99999:7:::

/etc/shadow can be fixed by copying an entry from a working /etc/shadow file

---

From: Christian PERRIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:11:54 +0100

reassign 604081 user-setup
retitle 604081 Does not show password mismatch when first entered root password is empty
thanks

Quoting Daniel Pocock ([email-masked]):
> No password-mismatch error is displayed, installer proceeds to
> setting up a user account
> 

When the root password is empty, root account is disabled. This is
what the first template says.

Still, one can understand that entering the pwd empty, then setting
something in the confirmation is user error and the user should have a
chance to correct it. And we should anyway to give the false
impression that a root password will be set.

Reassigning to user-setup as this bug belongs to that package.

Thanks for pointing it.

---

From: Cyril Brulebois <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 15:46:24 +0100

Control: found -1 1.48
Control: found -1 1.55
Control: tag -1 confirmed

> Reassigning to user-setup as this bug belongs to that package.

Still the case in wheezy and above, so recording the versions
accordingly.

Mraw,
KiBi.