Subject: Bug#622107: pinky: nonexistent "info coreutils 'pinky invocation'"

From: Justin B Rye <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:58:33 +0100

Package: coreutils
Version: 8.5-1
Severity: wishlist

I'm not sure I should even be complaining about this, since I'd much
rather have a manpage per executable than have to fish the information
out of info, but... pinky(1) says:

# SEE ALSO
#    The full documentation for pinky is maintained as a Texinfo
#    manual.  If the info and pinky programs are properly installed at
#    your site, the command
#
#         info coreutils 'pinky invocation'
#
#    should give you access to the complete manual.

If this is true, the complete manual consists of the words

   No menu item `pinky invocation' in node `(coreutils.info.gz)Top'.

Indeed,

  $ zcat /usr/share/info/*.gz | grep pinky || echo $?

returns "1" (though "grep -i" finds a "Pinky and the Brain" ref).  The
version at http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html
is just as uninformative.  Of course, there's always the alternative
of "info pinky", giving the "(*manpages*)pinky" fallback complete with
SEE ALSO section.

If the manpage is the only documentation anybody has ever written for
pinky, it shouldn't send me on a wild goose chase looking for a more
complete manual elsewhere.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 6.0.1
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages coreutils depends on:
ii  libacl1                       2.2.49-4   Access control list shared library
ii  libattr1                      1:2.4.44-2 Extended attribute shared library
ii  libc6                         2.11.2-10  Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib
ii  libselinux1                   2.0.96-1   SELinux runtime shared libraries

coreutils recommends no packages.

coreutils suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

-- 
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)