Subject: [gnome-panel] Panel randomly hangs when clicking "Main Menu" after a resume from "Suspend To RAM"

From: Abou Al Montacir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:58 +0200

Package: gnome-panel
Version: 2.30.2-4
Severity: important

--- Please enter the report below this line. ---

When starting the laptop, the "Main Menu" icon is working fine and I can navigate through it and chose applications to runs.
Now, I just close the laptop lid, causing the laptop entering th "Suspend To RAM" mode, and then open the screen. The laptop will resume and every thing works well, except the "Main Menu" icon on the gnome-panel.
This happens randomly, 2/3 times and when happening, pressing the "Main Menu" icon leads to all the X events (mouse and keyboard) to be ignored.
The only way to fix this is to switch to console mode (ctrl+alt+f1 continue to work) and kill the gnome-panel process. Then the panel is automatically started and everything will work again except the "Main Men"
In this state, you can kill as many time as you want the gnome-panel, the "Main Menu" icon will not resume normal behavior until either you restart the gnome session, or you remove the icon from the panel and then add it back again.

I've raised this bug severity to important as this renders the package usability very annoying, at the limit of usability in a company environment, where you need to switch on/off you screen depending on meetings to save battery...
I've attached a gdb to the blocked process and produced a call trace. Please advice if you need further logs or information.

Cheers,

--- System information. ---
Architecture: i386
Kernel:       Linux 2.6.38-2-686

Debian Release: wheezy/sid
  500 testing         www.emdebian.org 
  500 testing         ftp.fr.debian.org

--- Package information. ---
Depends                              (Version) | Installed
==============================================-+-==================
libart-2.0-2                       (>= 2.3.18) | 2.3.21-1
libatk1.0-0                        (>= 1.29.3) | 2.0.0-1
libbonobo2-0                       (>= 2.15.0) | 2.24.3-1
libbonoboui2-0                     (>= 2.15.1) | 2.24.3-1
libc6                                 (>= 2.7) | 2.13-4
libcairo2                           (>= 1.2.4) | 1.10.2-6
libcamel1.2-19                     (>= 2.32.0) | 2.32.3-1
libcamel1.2-19                       (<< 2.33) | 2.32.3-1
libcanberra-gtk0                     (>= 0.17) | 0.24-1
libcanberra0                          (>= 0.2) | 0.24-1
libdbus-1-3                         (>= 1.0.2) | 1.4.8-3
libdbus-glib-1-2                     (>= 0.88) | 0.92-1
libebook1.2-10                     (>= 2.32.2) | 2.32.3-1
libecal1.2-8                       (>= 2.32.2) | 2.32.3-1
libedataserver1.2-14               (>= 2.32.2) | 2.32.3-1
libedataserverui1.2-11             (>= 2.32.2) | 2.32.3-1
libfontconfig1                      (>= 2.8.0) | 2.8.0-2.2
libfreetype6                        (>= 2.2.1) | 2.4.4-1
libgconf2-4                        (>= 2.27.0) | 2.28.1-6
libglib2.0-0                       (>= 2.24.0) | 2.28.6-1
libgnome-desktop-2-17                          | 2.30.2-2
libgnome-menu2                    (>= 2.27.92) | 2.30.3-2+b1
libgnome2-0                        (>= 2.17.3) | 2.30.0-1
libgnomecanvas2-0                  (>= 2.11.1) | 2.30.1-1
libgtk2.0-0                        (>= 2.20.0) | 2.24.4-3
libgweather1                       (>= 2.30.0) | 2.30.3-1+b1
libical0                             (>= 0.31) | 0.44-3
libice6                           (>= 1:1.0.0) | 2:1.0.7-1
libnspr4-0d                      (>= 1.8.0.10) | 4.8.7-2
libnss3-1d                   (>= 3.12.0~1.9b1) | 3.12.9.with.ckbi.1.82-1
liborbit2                       (>= 1:2.14.10) | 1:2.14.18-0.1
libpanel-applet2-0                 (>= 2.28.0) | 2.30.2-4
libpango1.0-0                      (>= 1.18.0) | 1.28.3-6
libpolkit-gobject-1-0                (>= 0.94) | 0.101-4
libpopt0                             (>= 1.16) | 1.16-1
librsvg2-2                         (>= 2.26.0) | 2.32.1-1
libsm6                                         | 2:1.2.0-1
libsoup2.4-1                        (>= 2.4.0) | 2.34.0-1
libsqlite3-0                        (>= 3.5.9) | 3.7.6.2-1
libstartup-notification0             (>= 0.10) | 0.12-1
libwnck22                        (>= 2.30.0-3) | 2.30.4-3
libx11-6                                       | 2:1.4.3-1
libxau6                                        | 1:1.0.6-1
libxml2                            (>= 2.6.27) | 2.7.8.dfsg-2+b1
libxrandr2                     (>= 2:1.2.99.3) | 2:1.3.1-1
gnome-panel-data                     (>= 2.30) | 2.30.2-4
gnome-panel-data                     (<< 2.31) | 2.30.2-4
gnome-desktop-data               (>= 2.10.0-1) | 2.30.2-2
gnome-menus                        (>= 2.16.1) | 2.30.3-2+b1
gnome-about                      (>= 2.10.0-1) | 2.30.2-2
python                                         | 2.6.6-14
python-gnome2                                  | 2.28.1-2
python-gconf                                   | 2.28.1-2
policykit-1-gnome                              | 0.101-2

Recommends                    (Version) | Installed
=======================================-+-==============
gnome-applets             (>= 2.12.1-1) | 2.30.0-3
gnome-session                 (>= 2.26) | 2.30.2-3
gnome-control-center                    | 1:2.30.1-3
evolution-data-server                   | 2.32.3-1
gnome-icon-theme              (>= 2.24) | 2.30.3-2
alacarte                                | 0.13.2-1
menu-xdg                       (>= 0.2) | 0.5
gvfs                                    | 1.6.4-3

Suggests                 (Version) | Installed
==================================-+-===========
yelp                               | 2.30.1+webkit-1
gnome2-user-guide                  | 
gnome-terminal                     | 2.30.2-1
 OR x-terminal-emulator            | 
nautilus                           | 2.30.1-3
evolution                          | 2.32.3-1
epiphany-browser                   | 2.30.6-2