Subject: not fixed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 07:16:16 +0800

reopen 636437
found 636437 1.0.24.2-2
thanks
Upgrading and then rebooting does not eliminate the warnings.

---

From: Elimar Riesebieter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 02:14:33 +0200

tags 636437 + unreproducible
thanks

> Upgrading and then rebooting does not eliminate the warnings.

Hmm, do you find the warning in a log file? What ist exactly the
wording of the warning? I can't reproduce it?

Please post the output of

$ head -20 /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

Elimar

-- 
  Numeric stability is probably not all that 
  important when you're guessing;-)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:10:10 +0800

>>>>> "ER" == Elimar Riesebieter <[email-masked]> writes:
ER> Hmm, do you find the warning in a log file?
Impossible. The warnings occur before the filesystems are mounted, so
will only appear on the screen.
ER> What ist exactly the wording of the warning? I can't reproduce it?
The same as before.
ER> Please post the output of
ER> $ head -20 /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
#!/bin/sh
#
# alsa-utils initscript
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          alsa-utils
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     S
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Restore and store ALSA driver settings
# Description:       This script stores and restores mixer levels on
#                    shutdown and bootup.On sysv-rc systems: to
#                    disable storing of mixer levels on shutdown,
#                    remove /etc/rc[06].d/K50alsa-utils.  To disable
#                    restoring of mixer levels on bootup, rename the
#                    "S50alsa-utils" symbolic link in /etc/rcS.d/ to
#                    "K50alsa-utils".
### END INIT INFO

# sysv-rc-conf --list |grep alsa
alsa-utils   0:off      6:off   S:on

I even reinstalled the kernel and rebooted.

Be sure to test(1) the things you are assume are mounted... they may be
mounted now, but not when you called them.

---

From: Elimar Riesebieter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 02:33:53 +0200

tags 636437 pending
thanks

@Jordi: Please upload again. Thanks

* [email-masked] [110908 10:10 +0800]:

[...]
> I even reinstalled the kernel and rebooted.

Why? This is not needed.

> mounted now, but not when you called them.

Is it really a case of mismounting? /etc/init.d/alsa-utils is waiting
for $local_fs which, according to /etc/insserv.conf, provides
mountall. On the other hand mountall is provided by
rcS.d/S13mountall.sh. alsa-utils started as rcS.d/S26alsa-utils. As
you can recognize S26 is a bit later as S13. So all should be run
satisfyingly now.

Well the problem was that alsa-utils/alsactl installs
/lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules which is not driven by the
debian/rules but a default install from alsa's source package. See
alsa-utils/alsactl/Makkefile.in. So we removed that file from
package and delete an probably existing one by postrm.

Sorry Jidanni for my incompetence. It will never happens in future
again.

But could you please explain how /usr/bin/test, as suggested by
test(1) from you, can prevent one from such a mistake? Any help would
extend my experience ;-)

One thing Jirdanni; could you please a bit more friendly in the
future. This will push the motivation of maintainers much more
emphaticly ;-)

Elimar

-- 
  It's a good thing we don't get all 
  the government we pay for.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:01:18 +0800

>> I even reinstalled the kernel and rebooted.
ER> Why? This is not needed.
I thought it might be an "initrd" thing or something. Just shows how
much I know.

ER> But could you please explain how /usr/bin/test, as suggested by
ER> test(1) from you, can prevent one from such a mistake? Any help would
ER> extend my experience ;-)

All I know is these days one never seems to know what is mounted when anymore.*

ER> One thing Jirdanni; could you please a bit more friendly in the
ER> future. This will push the motivation of maintainers much more
ER> emphaticly ;-)

No! I have had a permanent overdose of Don Rickles movies and am
perfecting my nastiness just one notch below getting banned.

*By the way, even pleading to Linus will not get boot warnings logged
anywhere. No disks mounted yet... You'll just have to attach a DEC printing terminal.

---

From: Jordi Mallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:28:22 +0200

> perfecting my nastiness just one notch below getting banned.

LOL!

> anywhere. No disks mounted yet... You'll just have to attach a DEC

/etc/default/bootlogd does not help in your system?

Jordi
-- 
Jordi Mallach Pérez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
[email-masked]     [email-masked]     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/

---

From: Jordi Mallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:33:22 +0200

> package and delete an probably existing one by postrm.

Wow, I wonder how we missed that. Elimar, why do we do this?

        # Remove udev configfile
        rm -f /lib/udev/rules.d/80-alsa.rules
        rm -f /lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules

These are not conffiles; they are not in /etc, and should go away as any
other normal file in a package just with a simple package upgrade.

Jordi

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:46:00 +0800

JM> /etc/default/bootlogd does not help in your system?
Typical. You have no idea of what I am talking about.
$ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
# Run bootlogd at startup ?
#BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No
#jidanni:
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

I'm taking about the earliest messages one sees on ones screen, before
any of that gets turned on.

Linux can spew them to the screen, but not also copy them to memory and
then later save to a file.

So one needs a pencil and paper.

E.g., for the messages mentioned in this bug.

---

From: Elimar Riesebieter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:37:00 +0200

> other normal file in a package just with a simple package upgrade.

Description suited. Ready for upload. We should do it like the M$
developers. Let a key tester like Jidanni confirm that this bug is
really closed now.

Elimar

---

From: Elimar Riesebieter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:42:52 +0200

> So one needs a pencil and paper.

Hmm, stop the stdout, make a photo and send this (well, sized reduced
please) to us. You are absolutely right. This boot sequence cant't be
written to a logfile of the booting system.

I've noticed now, that you are a real BOFH ;-)

Elimar
-- 
  "Talking much about oneself can also 
   be a means to conceal oneself."
         -Friedrich Nietzsche

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:46:04 +0800

ER> Take a photograph
See, told ya.
ER> Description suited. Ready for upload. We should do it like the M$
ER> developers. Let a key tester like Jidanni confirm that this bug is
ER> really closed now.
You'll be hearing from me again if the messages don't go away soon.

---

From: Jordi Mallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:21:31 +0200

Mr Jidanni,

> You'll be hearing from me again if the messages don't go away soon.

I *really* count on that!