Subject: Bug#650020: [Pkg-alsa-devel] Bug#650020: alsa-utils: alsa fails to recognize VIA8237 (AD1888) - no sound (ICE1712 - OK)

From: Eduard Tibet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:47:28 +0300

Package: alsa-utils
Version: 1.0.23-3
Severity: normal

>> == uname:
>> eduardtibet@tekomspb:~$ uname -a
>> Linux tekomspb 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 04:23:54 UTC 2011 i686
GNU/Linux

>> Either install a newer kernel
>We don't maintain such old installations.

Do you mean the latest kernel, available at kernel.org (i.e. 2.6.38 or other
branch from kernel.org) or just newest upgraded kernel for debian 6.0.3 from
_debian_ repository - 2.6.32.39? If the second one - I have it already
installed (updated) before submitting the bug:

eduardtibet@tekomspb:~$ sudo dpkg -l linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
ii  linux-image-2.6.32-5-686  2.6.32-39                 Linux 2.6.32 for modern
PCs

> or try to compile 1.0.23 drivers from source (apt-get install alsa-source)
using module-assistant.

done with m-a. no success.

eduardtibet@tekomspb:~$ sudo dpkg -l alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686
....
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
ii  alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686 1.0.23+dfsg-2+2.6.32-39   ALSA modules for kernel
2.6.32-5-686

the error in dmesg log changed to:

[    6.355067] ALSA via82xx.c:589: codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
[    6.362131] ALSA via82xx.c:589: codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
[    6.369253] ALSA via82xx.c:589: codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]
[    6.375613] ALSA via82xx.c:589: codec_read: codec 0 is not valid [0xfe0000]

Thanks.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 6.0.3
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages alsa-utils depends on:
ii  libasound2              1.0.23-2.1       shared library for ALSA applicatio
ii  libc6                   2.11.2-10        Embedded GNU C Library: Shared lib
ii  libncursesw5            5.7+20100313-5   shared libraries for terminal hand
ii  linux-sound-base        1.0.23+dfsg-2    base package for ALSA and OSS soun
ii  lsb-base                3.2-23.2squeeze1 Linux Standard Base 3.2 init scrip
ii  module-init-tools       3.12-1           tools for managing Linux kernel mo
ii  udev                    164-3            /dev/ and hotplug management daemo
ii  whiptail                0.52.11-1        Displays user-friendly dialog boxe

Versions of packages alsa-utils recommends:
ii  alsa-base                  1.0.23+dfsg-2 ALSA driver configuration files
ii  pciutils                   1:3.1.7-6     Linux PCI Utilities

alsa-utils suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information