Subject: Bug#654978: default for xdg.Menu.parse causes ParsingError: File not found

From: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:39:07 +0100

* Ryan Kavanagh <[email-masked]>, 2012-01-07, 11:59:
>The default menu parsed by xdg.Menu.parse 
>(/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu) is not provided by any Debian 
>package. Some applications, such as xmenud, rely on python-xdg's 
>default when trying to parse menus. I recommend changing the default 
>menu parsed to /etc/xdg/menus/debian-menu.menu (this would require 
>adding menu-xdg as a Depends), or to some other existing menu file.
>
>Best wishes,
>Ryan
>
>Python 2.7.2+ (default, Dec 18 2011, 00:33:35)
>[GCC 4.6.2] on linux2
>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>> import xdg.Menu
>>>> xdg.Menu.parse()
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/xdg/Menu.py", line 506, in parse
>    raise ParsingError('File not found', "/etc/xdg/menus/%s" % candidate)
>xdg.Exceptions.ParsingError: ParsingError in file '/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu', File not found

This is the expected behavior. python-xdg is supposed to implement 
Desktop Menu Specification, which obviously doesn't say anything about 
debian-menu.

Even assuming that falling backing to parsing Debian menu has merits, I 
still don't see any reason for adding menu-xdg to Depends.

-- 
Jakub Wilk