Subject: ocsinventory-server: transition towards Apache 2.4

From: "Jean-Michel Vourgère" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:18:47 +0000

Package: ocsinventory-server
Severity: important
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: apache24webapptransition
Control: block 661958 by -1

Dear maintainer,

your package ocsinventory-server is a web application which supports the
Apache2 web server. We're upgrading Apache to the new upstream version
2.4 [1] (tracked as transition bug #661958). This requires some changes
in your package about how to interface to our package. You can test your
package against our package available in sid.

We have written packaging guidelines for our reverse
dependencies [4]. Please read this document carefully, it should be able
to answer most of your questions. Do also look at dh_apache2 (available
through  the dh-apache2 package) which can simplify shipping of Apache2
configuration files. 

In short, we want to highlight these changes you need to be aware of:

* Do NOT declare a strong relation against apache2.2-common. Instead
recommend "apache2 | httpd" in your package relationships. 

* Do NOT install any files to /etc/apache2/conf.d/. This directory is
 obsolete. Its successor is /etc/apache2/conf-available/ which can be
 interfaced through a2enconf/a2disconf

* Do NOT call a2enconf/a2disconf in your maintainer scripts. Use our
 apache2-maintscript-helper [4] instead. This is required to get a
 uniform and stateful handling of all web applications interfacing with
 Apache2.

* Please use the new authentication and authorization directives of
 Apache 2.4 [6]. While the old style directives are in principle still
 supported using mod_access_compat, mixing old and new style directives
 can cause problems. Moreover, the compatibility mode may be removed in
 a future release.

You can look at our Apache 2.4 packaging hints [7] for hands-on
tutorials.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/03/msg00013.html
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-apache/apache2.git;a=blob;f=debian/PACKAGING;hb=next
[5] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
[6] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html#run-time
[7] http://wiki.debian.org/Apache/PackagingFor24