Subject: mailman: transition towards Apache 2.4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:07:59 +0000

Package: mailman
Severity: important
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: apache24webapptransition

Dear maintainer,

your package mailman is a web application which supports the Apache2
web server. We're upgrading Apache to the new upstream version 2.4 [1]
(tracked as transition bug #661958). This requires some changes in your
package about how to interface to our package. You can test your package
against our package available in experimental [2] which is soon to be
uploaded to Sid. Please note, chances are that for the time being, third
party modules (e.g. mod_php, mod_perl and such) are not yet available in
a version capable to run with the Apache 2.4 web server. You can use
their (Fast-)CGI counter parts, e.g. php5-fpm to test your packages. You
can see an up to date state of modules being in the transition to
Apache2 2.4 at [3]. We have written packaging guidelines for our reverse
dependencies [4]. Please read this document carefully, it should be able
to answer most of your questions. Do also look at dh_apache2 (available
through  the dh-apache2 package) which can simplify shipping of Apache2
configuration files. 

In short, we want to highlight these changes you need to be aware of:

* Do NOT declare a strong relation against apache2.2-common (or
 apache2-common as its natural successor). Instead recommend "apache2 |
 httpd" in your package relationships. 

* Do NOT install any files to /etc/apache2/conf.d/. This directory is
 obsolete. Its successor is /etc/apache2/conf-available/ which can be
 interfaced through a2enconf/a2disconf

* Do NOT call a2enconf/a2disconf in your maintainer scripts. Use our
 apache2-maintscript-helper [4] instead. This is required to get a
 uniform and stateful handling of all web applications interfacing with
 Apache2.

* Please use the new authentication and authorization directives of
 Apache 2.4 [6]. While the old style directives are in principle still
 supported using mod_access_compat, mixing old and new style directives
 can cause problems. Moreover, the compatibility mode may be removed in
 a future release.

You can look at our Apache 2.4 packaging hints [7] for hands-on
tutorials.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/03/msg00013.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=apache2&searchon=sourcenames&exact=1&suite=all&section=all
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=apache24transition;users=[email-masked]
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-apache/apache2.git;a=blob;f=debian/PACKAGING;hb=next
[5] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
[6] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html#run-time
[7] http://wiki.debian.org/Apache/PackagingFor24

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:15:15 +0200

> Usertags: apache24webapptransition

Thanks. I plan to include this when we upload upstream's 2.1.15 release.

Thijs

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:59:37 +0200

severity 669813 wishlist
retitle 669813 automatically configure Apache
thanks

Hi,

> web server. We're upgrading Apache to the new upstream version 2.4 [1]

Current Mailman packaging is very light on Apache interactions. I verified
the package and concluded that current package is not incompatible with
2.4, so not a part of/a blocker for this transition.

We could use more Apache interactions, but probably best to do that with
2.4 from the start, so retitling the bug accordingly.

cheers,
Thijs

---

From: Geert Stappers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 15:57:34 +0200

Control: tag -1 patch

Hi,

FWIW I also needed the patch describe
in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=669813#41

So now tagging this BR with 'patch'

Groeten
Geert Stappers
-- 
Leven en laten leven

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 16:40:57 +0200

> So now tagging this BR with 'patch'

This specific configuration change has been made since Stretch (1:2.1.20-1).

So I don't think this bug report should be tagged 'patch', as the original
wish is not satisfied (and likely will not be because focus is on
Mailman3).

Cheers,
Thijs

---

From: Geert Stappers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:58:08 +0200

Control: tag -1 -patch

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:40:57PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > FWIW I also needed the patch described
 
I admit that I was helping friends with Mailman on an Ubuntu system.

Doing `debcheckout mailman` on Debian system indeed reveals
file debian/contrib/apache.conf with 'Require granted all'.

Bugreport now contains that information.

Removed the 'patch' tag.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
-- 
Leven en laten leven