Subject: Bug#669813: mailman: transition towards Apache 2.4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:07:59 +0000

Package: mailman
Severity: important
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: apache24webapptransition

Dear maintainer,

your package mailman is a web application which supports the Apache2
web server. We're upgrading Apache to the new upstream version 2.4 [1]
(tracked as transition bug #661958). This requires some changes in your
package about how to interface to our package. You can test your package
against our package available in experimental [2] which is soon to be
uploaded to Sid. Please note, chances are that for the time being, third
party modules (e.g. mod_php, mod_perl and such) are not yet available in
a version capable to run with the Apache 2.4 web server. You can use
their (Fast-)CGI counter parts, e.g. php5-fpm to test your packages. You
can see an up to date state of modules being in the transition to
Apache2 2.4 at [3]. We have written packaging guidelines for our reverse
dependencies [4]. Please read this document carefully, it should be able
to answer most of your questions. Do also look at dh_apache2 (available
through  the dh-apache2 package) which can simplify shipping of Apache2
configuration files. 

In short, we want to highlight these changes you need to be aware of:

* Do NOT declare a strong relation against apache2.2-common (or
 apache2-common as its natural successor). Instead recommend "apache2 |
 httpd" in your package relationships. 

* Do NOT install any files to /etc/apache2/conf.d/. This directory is
 obsolete. Its successor is /etc/apache2/conf-available/ which can be
 interfaced through a2enconf/a2disconf

* Do NOT call a2enconf/a2disconf in your maintainer scripts. Use our
 apache2-maintscript-helper [4] instead. This is required to get a
 uniform and stateful handling of all web applications interfacing with
 Apache2.

* Please use the new authentication and authorization directives of
 Apache 2.4 [6]. While the old style directives are in principle still
 supported using mod_access_compat, mixing old and new style directives
 can cause problems. Moreover, the compatibility mode may be removed in
 a future release.

You can look at our Apache 2.4 packaging hints [7] for hands-on
tutorials.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/03/msg00013.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=apache2&searchon=sourcenames&exact=1&suite=all&section=all
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=apache24transition;users=[email-masked]
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-apache/apache2.git;a=blob;f=debian/PACKAGING;hb=next
[5] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html
[6] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html#run-time
[7] http://wiki.debian.org/Apache/PackagingFor24

---

From: [email-masked] (Debian Bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:06:42 +0000

Thank you for filing a new Bug report with Debian.

This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
has been received.

Your message has been forwarded to the package maintainers (but not
other interested parties, as you requested) for their attention; they
will reply in due course.

Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
 Mailman for Debian <[email-masked]>

If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
send it to [email-masked].

Please do not send mail to [email-masked] unless you wish
to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.

-- 
669813: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=669813
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:15:15 +0200

> Usertags: apache24webapptransition

Thanks. I plan to include this when we upload upstream's 2.1.15 release.

Thijs

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:59:37 +0200

severity 669813 wishlist
retitle 669813 automatically configure Apache
thanks

Hi,

> web server. We're upgrading Apache to the new upstream version 2.4 [1]

Current Mailman packaging is very light on Apache interactions. I verified
the package and concluded that current package is not incompatible with
2.4, so not a part of/a blocker for this transition.

We could use more Apache interactions, but probably best to do that with
2.4 from the start, so retitling the bug accordingly.

cheers,
Thijs

---

From: Geert Stappers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 15:57:34 +0200

Control: tag -1 patch

Hi,

FWIW I also needed the patch describe
in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=669813#41

So now tagging this BR with 'patch'

Groeten
Geert Stappers
-- 
Leven en laten leven

---

From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 16:40:57 +0200

> So now tagging this BR with 'patch'

This specific configuration change has been made since Stretch (1:2.1.20-1).

So I don't think this bug report should be tagged 'patch', as the original
wish is not satisfied (and likely will not be because focus is on
Mailman3).

Cheers,
Thijs

---

From: Geert Stappers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:58:08 +0200

Control: tag -1 -patch

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:40:57PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > FWIW I also needed the patch described
 
I admit that I was helping friends with Mailman on an Ubuntu system.

Doing `debcheckout mailman` on Debian system indeed reveals
file debian/contrib/apache.conf with 'Require granted all'.

Bugreport now contains that information.

Removed the 'patch' tag.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
-- 
Leven en laten leven