Subject: Re: Bug#673612: Keyboard shortcuts no longer work with gnome-shell 3.4

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 12:57:54 -0700

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:36:09PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 20.05.2012 09:00, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > After upgrading to gnome-shell 3.4 from experimental, my custom keyboard
> > shortcuts no longer work.  In System Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts,
> > I have shortcuts set for "Launch Terminal" (Mod4+N), "Toggle
> > maximization" (Mod4+M), and "Toggle fullscreen mode" (Mod4+F), but none
> > of them work since I upgraded to 3.4.
> 
> Could you try upgrading gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center
> to 3.4, too.

OK, I just upgraded all three to the versions from experimental.

> Keyboard shortcuts have been switched from gconf to gsettings.
> - Were existing shortcuts not migrated?

Correct.  The shortcut for a terminal has disappeared entirely rather
than migrating to a custom shortcut or similar.  And the section for
window management shortcuts seems to have disappeared as well; I don't
see any way to add shortcuts for maximize, fullscreen, or move window to
top/bottom/left/right.  The shortcut for a web browser has stopped
working as well.  None of the shortcuts I've previously set appear
anywhere in the keyboard settings dialog.

> - Do keyboard shortcuts not work at all?

The default shortcuts seem to work, for what they provide: alt-tab,
alt-F4, volume keys, screenshots, etc.  I can also create keyboard
shortcuts using Ctrl+Alt+key and those work fine.  Shortcuts using
Super+key don't, though.

> - Can you (re)create your shortcuts?

I tried recreating my shortcuts via the Keyboard settings dialog.  While
I can now set keyboard shortcuts using Super as a modifier (which
previously did not work and just treated Super_L as a key in itself),
hitting those keys does not actually invoke the desired action.  I tried
setting up a custom shortcut to launch gnome-terminal, and I tried
setting the existing "Launch web browser" shortcut; neither one worked.

If I set the shortcuts to use a modifier other than Super, I can invoke
them.  Any shortcut I set using Super does not seem to work, though the
keyboard settings dialog itself recognizes it just fine.

Also, I see no way to recreate my existing shortcuts for maximization,
fullscreen, or moving windows up/down/left/right.

- Josh Triplett