Subject: alsa-utils: Says it shuts down ALSA, but doesn't

From: Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:00:27 +0200

Package: alsa-utils
Version: 1.0.25-3
Severity: normal

Take a look at the following command and output:

root@asus:/home/tmac# /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
[ ok ] Shutting down ALSA...done.

Howerer, the ALSA modules are still loaded:

root@asus:/home/tmac# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek    46957  1
snd_hda_intel          19868  2
snd_hda_codec          57132  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               4597  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                58682  2 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc          5825  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_midi            3888  0
snd_seq_midi_event      4492  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            13778  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                39307  2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device          4308  3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer              14998  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    40829  13 
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore                832  1 snd

So either something is wrong with the functionality of the script, or
the message "Shutting down ALSA...done" is misleading.

Best regards,
Torquil SÃ¸rensen