Subject: Bug#686097: understanding/contributing to partman-btrfs

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:07:06 -0400

Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I've described such a solution in the bug report:
> 
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686097
> 
> If you think it is sensible (or if something looks obviously silly),
> could you comment on it?  I will hopefully have more time next week to
> play with it, but I'll let it sit there for a few days to see if
> anyone has comments about it.

I don't know if that's worth it, it'll be a feature that entirely lacks
discoverability for users.

> Anything more comprehensive than what I've described would require UI
> changes (e.g. prompting user for RAID level)

Of course, d-i already knows how to promt the user for the RAID level --
when setting up normal software RAID. Finding a way to make partman-md
also support btrfs raid seems like a nice approach, but I don't know how
it would work either in the UI or internally.

-- 
see shy jo

---

From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:36:22 +0200

> discoverability for users.

Maybe not such a bad thing: the btrfs crew still insist it is experimental.

Just the other day I saw something about btrfs crashing the kernel when
all RAID elements are not present