Subject: Re: Bug#687022: lintian: regex error in dev-pkg-without-shlib-symlink

From: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 23:51:26 +0200

* Andreas Metzler <[email-masked]>, 2013-06-09, 08:54:
>(SID)ametzler@argenau:/tmp/GCR/libgcrypt-1.5.2$ find debian/ -path debian/tmp -p
>rune -or \( -name libgcrypt.so -or -name libgcrypt.so.11.8.1 \) -print
>debian/libgcrypt11-udeb/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.8.1
>debian/libgcrypt11/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.11.8.1
>debian/libgcrypt11-dev/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so
>debian/libgcrypt11-dbg/usr/lib/debug/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.8.1
>debian/libgcrypt11-dbg/usr/lib/debug/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.11.8.1
>----------------
>lintian seems to expect the .so symlink in /usr/lib although the 
>library lives in /lib.

Indeed, but that's the documentation behavior. From the tag description:

"The symlink is generally expected in the same directory as the library 
itself. The major exception to this rule is if the library is installed 
in (or beneath) /lib, where the symlink must be installed in the same 
dir beneath /usr.

Example: If the library is installed in /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXYZ.so.V, 
the symlink is expected at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXYZ.so."

The static library and the .so symlink are certainly never needed before 
/usr is mounted, so they should live in /usr/lib, not in /lib.

-- 
Jakub Wilk