Subject: Bug#701152: Static DNS settings don't survive DHCP refreshes

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 22:58:43 +0200

On 2013-02-22 19:32:14 +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> If I configure static DNS for a given WLAN (because the
> DHCP-provided DNS doesn't work), wicd-daemon correctly sets up
> /etc/resolv.conf (resolvconf is installed), but as soon as dhcpcd
> refreshes the lease, it overwrites the DNS with what the DHCP server
> provides.

I don't think that wicd can do anything, except by providing a
dhclient hook script, but there could be some clashes with other
hook scripts. I currently do that on my side:

  https://www.vinc17.net/unix/resolv.en.html

IMHO, the solution would be some specification independent from
the DHCP client. For instance, if there's some directive in the
/etc/resolv.conf file, then this means that the configuration was
set up by the network connection system and the DHCP client shouldn't
touch it. Or perhaps there is already something like that, e.g. if
there isn't domain-name-servers in the request option, dhclient
doesn't try to modify the /etc/resolv.conf file? In such a case,
a wicd specific dhclient.conf file could be used.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)