Subject: i18nspector: X-POFile-SpellExtra field currently needs to be duped

From: Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:59:59 +0100

Package: i18nspector
Version: 0.8.1-1
Severity: normal

Hi!

The X-POFile-SpellExtra field, generated and parsed by POFileSpell
(from gettext-lint), currently needs to be present multiple times,
one per line. Merging all those fields into a single one, spanning
multiple lines makes POFileSpell unable to recognize it. So please
whitelist that field from the duped checks.

Thanks,
Guillem

---

From: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:05:55 +0200

[With my upstream hat on:]

* Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>, 2013-03-24, 16:59:
>(from gettext-lint), currently needs to be present multiple times, one 
>per line. Merging all those fields into a single one, spanning multiple 
>lines makes POFileSpell unable to recognize it. So please whitelist 
>that field from the duped checks.

Now that I think of it, it's not obvious to me whether i18nspector 
should be complaining about non-standard duplicated header fields at 
all. Gettext documentation is silent about this topic as far as I can 
tell. (And, in general, the header documentation is rather poor.) I 
assumed that no duplicates are allowed probably because of Debian bias. 
:)

One reason to keep emitting duplicate-header-field for non-standard 
fields (including X-POFile-SpellExtra) is that there's existing software 
that assumes that no duplicates exist. If you open a PO file with 
polib[0], and than save it again, duplicates in your header are gone. 
But then again, it might be it's a bug in polib; I don't know.

[0] http://polib.readthedocs.org/

-- 
Jakub Wilk

---

From: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 02:50:53 +0200

>that field from the duped checks.

This will be partially addressed in i18nspector 0.10 (hopefully to be 
released over this weekend). duplicate-header-field has been downgraded 
to minor/wild-guess (so it's an I: rather than scary E:), and there are 
separate duplicate-header-field-$FIELD tags for the well-known header 
fields:

https://bitbucket.org/jwilk/i18nspector/src/dc9f59be4584/data/tags?at=default#cl-135

-- 
Jakub Wilk

---

From: Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 05:19:02 +0200

On Sat, 2013-06-15 at 02:50:53 +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> This will be partially addressed in i18nspector 0.10 (hopefully to
> be released over this weekend). duplicate-header-field has been
> downgraded to minor/wild-guess (so it's an I: rather than scary E:),
> and there are separate duplicate-header-field-$FIELD tags for the
> well-known header fields:
> 

Ah! Very nice. I guess it will still be printed by default? If there
could be a way (a la lintian) to either not print some of these by
default and enable them on the command line, or print everything but
being able to disable some, ideally from a config file, that would be
perfect. I can file a separate wishlist if either of these seem fine
to you.

Thanks,
Guillem

---

From: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:41:09 +0200

* Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>, 2013-06-15, 05:19:
>>released over this weekend). duplicate-header-field has been 
>Ah! Very nice. I guess it will still be printed by default?

That's right.

>If there could be a way (a la lintian) to either not print some of 
>these by default and enable them on the command line, or print 
>everything but being able to disable some, ideally from a config file, 
>that would be perfect.

Support for overrides is on my to-do list (and I added it here precisely 
with this bug in mind). It won't be ready for 0.10, though.

>I can file a separate wishlist if either of these seem fine to you.

Feel free. :)

-- 
Jakub Wilk