Subject: Re: Bug#710879: unstable / slow / loss of connectivity after network reconnection

From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:08:47 +0200

On 14/09/14 18:24, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
> 
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 10:13:20AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Package: icedove
>> Version: 10.0.12-1
>> Severity: important
>>
>> I'm using icedove on desktops and laptops
>>
>> On the desktops all is fine
>>
>> On a laptop, I notice that after a change in network status (I tether
>> the laptop to a phone at various times during the day) icedove will
>> sometimes fail to connect to the IMAP server.  It displays a "Connecting
>> to" message but doesn't make any progress.
>>
>> If I stop icedove and start it again it works again
>>
>> I haven't investigated in closer detail yet, but I'm guessing that maybe
>> it is caching network settings from the previous connection, or maybe it
>> doesn't like the periods where there is no network connection at all. 
>> Please let me know if this is a known issue or if more troubleshooting
>> is needed.
> 
> after lot's of new Icedove versions I can't reproduce this behaviour on
> any of my laptops. I would like to close this report. Are you agree?
> 

The way I have been using it has changed slightly so I haven't really
noticed if the problem is still there

I was mostly noticing this problem when using a USB phone connection.
Now I usually have the laptop on wifi or cable connections and they are
far less volatile than the mobile networks so they don't expose the same
bugs.

I leave it at your discretion whether you want to close the issue or
maybe it can be tagged in some way (is there a tag for bugs that impact
mobile usage?) and the severity reduced.

Regards,

Daniel