Subject: Still a problem on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

From: "Brent W. Baccala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 20:53:47 -0500

Hi -

I had a problem with this on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (bionic).  After installing
the packages postfix and sasl2-bin, I then (after at least an hour of
debugging), ended up putting in a symlink from /var/run/saslauthd to
/var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd.

I didn't change much from the standard configuration - just added
/etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf and uncommented the stuff in master.cf to
listen on port 587.  In particular, I didn't alter the chroot setting - it
was chroot out of the box.

I think something needs to be added to,
perhaps, /usr/lib/postfix/configure-instance.sh, to create a bind mount for
this directory when postfix starts.  Maybe that's not quite right, since
there's a sequencing issue for the saslauthd/postfix startup order, but
something like this is in order.

It should work out of the box, without having to move around system
directories or manually add bind mounts.

    agape
    brent

---

From: Michael Tokarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2024 10:02:55 +0300

Control: retitle -1 [chroot] saslauthd bind mount fails during boot

Another bug due to chroot-by-default in debian postfix which has been
advised against by upstream countless number of times over the years.

/mjt