Subject: Bug#717595: Please check for update-rc.d "start" and "stop" argument usage

From: Paul Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 10:41:18 +0800

Control: tags -1 - moreinfo

Since this problem is still an issue with packages in the archive (like
x11-common), it would be nice to have lintian warn about the issues.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:10:58 +0100 Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:

> I am willing to implement this test but could you please provide a description

A reasonable description was already provided in the mail:

   The update-rc.d "start" and "stop" arguments are obsoleted and
   replaced by the "defaults" argument.  It is no longer possible to
   specify start and stop runlevel and sequence numbers; these must be
   provided by the LSB header of every init script.  If start and/or
   stop arguments are provided, these now act as if "defaults" had been
   used instead, and the extra runlevel and sequence information is
   discarded, and a warning will be issued.

-- 
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise