Subject: please add a ~/.pwgenrc file

From: Marc Haber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 21:34:44 +0200

Package: pwgen
Version: 2.06-1+b2
Severity: wishlist

Hi,

I find myself using pwgen usually with the -y option and an increased
password length and have in fact written a wrapper that calls pwgen
with -y 10 always.

I would be nice if I could get around without that wrapper, for
example if pwgen would read a set of default options from ~/.pwgenrc

Greetings
Marc

---

From: Thomas Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 19:17:38 +0200

Package: pwgen
Followup-For: Bug #719151

If you implement a config file, please respect
https://wiki.debian.org/XDGBaseDirectorySpecification
and place the config file in ~/.config/pwgen/$CONFIG

regards, Thomas Koch

- -- System Information:
Debian Release: 7.1
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.10-0.bpo.3-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages pwgen depends on:
ii  libc6  2.13-38

pwgen recommends no packages.

pwgen suggests no packages.

- -- no debconf information

---

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 15:34:54 -0400

> and place the config file in ~/.config/pwgen/$CONFIG

You couldn't be bothered to check if pwgen even has a config file
before you sent what appears to be a mass bug filing?

For the record, it doesn't have a config file.

       	   	     	     	- Ted

---

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:00:34 -0400

reopen 719151
thanks

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 09:44:19PM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> 
> Hi Ted,
> 
> it's not a mass bug filling. This was an attached note to an already existing 
> bug report that asked for a config file and I only added the comment that the 
> config file shoul rather be located in the correct place than what the original 
> poster suggested.
> 
> I discovered the issue while checking the existing bugs of pwgen before filling 
> another bug.
> 
> I know that the Debian Bug tracker is a bit confusing. One gets emails without 
> the necessary context.

Ah, I see.  It would have been helpful if you hadn't change the
subject line.  The original subject line:

Subject: please add a ~/.pwgenrc file

Would have given me the necessary context.  (Either that, or a bit
more explicit context in the actual body of the e-mail itself would
have been helpful.)

Thanks,

					- Ted

---

From: Marc Haber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 18:41:39 +0200

reopen #719151
thanks

> For the record, it doesn't have a config file.

For the record, the bug report asked about adding a config file. You
misreacted on Thomas Koch's suggestion about where to place the config
file.

Greetings
Marc

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 31958061
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 621 31958062

---

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:46:16 -0400

> misreacted on Thomas Koch's suggestion about where to place the config

Yes, I know.  He changed the subject line in this bug, which
eliminated what little context the Debian BTS retains, especially
since when there are no In-reply-to headers, so breaking the subject
means it completely destroy mail threading in mutt and most other
MUA's.

I had already reopened the bug, as you might have noticed when your
reopen request failed.

					- Ted

---

From: Marc Haber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:26:31 +0200

> I had already reopened the bug, as you might have noticed when your

Yes. The reopen mail does not show in the web interface, since it was
only sent to control and not to the bug itself. that got me confused.

Cheers
Marc