Subject: irssi: "critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed" after "/reconnect freenode"

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:48:58 +0100

Package: irssi
Version: 0.8.16~rc1-1

Recently Freenode pointed irc.eu.freenode.net temporarily to 127.0.0.1
to allegedly mitigate a DDoS attack. So my irssi at some point
reconnected to 127.0.0.1 and thought it was the Freenode network, but it
was my Bitlbee instance running on port 6667 on localhost.

After I noticed that, I did

/disconnect freenode
/connect freenode

Afterwards someone on a Freenode channel argued, I would send CTCP
TYPING requests to that channel as Bitlbee + the plugin
bitlbee_typing_notice does to indicate someone started writing me on ICQ
or such:

20:51 XTaran [~abe@…] requested unknown CTCP TYPING from #…: 1
20:51 XTaran [~abe@…] requested unknown CTCP TYPING from #…: 0

After doing

/reconnect freenode

that issue vanished, but I got multiple times the following messages in
my current chat window:

20:55:11 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:13 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:15 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:15 *** Channel #a…a created Sun Nov 26 07:42:43 2006
20:55:19 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:21 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:23 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:27 *** Channel #b…b created Tue Jan 27 06:26:33 2009
20:55:30 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:31 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
20:55:33 *** Channel #c…c created Sun Nov 26 07:43:06 2006
20:55:38 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed

I first thought, it may be one such message per /joined channel on the
Freenode network, but 15 minutes later, they reappeared:

21:09:55 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:09:57 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:04 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:07 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:09 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:12 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:14 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:16 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:18 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:25 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:26 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:29 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:36 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:36 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:38 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:40 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:10:47 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed

And another two minutes later even more of them:

21:12:33 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:35 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:37 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:39 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:41 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:43 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:45 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:12:52 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:02 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:04 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:06 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:08 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:10 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:12 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:15 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:17 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:19 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:21 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:23 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:26 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:28 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:30 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:13:37 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:14:19 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:14:21 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed

So now I suspect it may be triggered by automatic /whois requests done
to check the /away status of a few users. So I've /unloaded notifylist,
but they continued to appear:

21:15:42 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:44 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:46 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:48 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:50 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:57 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:15:58 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:16:00 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:16:03 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:16:05 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:16:07 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:16:14 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed

21:18:24 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:18:26 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:18:28 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed
21:18:35 *** Irssi: critical irssi_bless_iobject: assertion '(type & ~0xffff) == 0' failed

After that I haven't seen that message again for at least 30 minutes. I
haven't chatted since then, either, though.

Current submodule list:

21:14:59 Module               Type    Submodules
21:14:59 core                 static  core irc fe fe-irc fe-text
21:14:59 dcc                  static  irc fe-irc
21:14:59 flood                static  irc
21:14:59 perl                 static  core fe

Bitlbee related and loaded scripts:

21:16:55 bitlbee_typing_notice /home/abe/.irssi/scripts/autorun/bitlbee_typing_notice.pl
21:16:55 bitlbee_join_notice /home/abe/.irssi/scripts/autorun/bitlbee_join_notice.pl
21:16:55 bitlbee_tab_completion /home/abe/.irssi/scripts/autorun/bitlbee_tab_completion.pl
21:16:55 bitlbee_blist   /home/abe/.irssi/scripts/autorun/bitlbee_blist.pl

Full list of loaded scripts available upon request.

I've checked that irssi has been restarted since the last irssi update
(since irssi is a long-running process :-), but the machine has been
rebooted on 16th of December, i.e. after the last irssi update (in
experimental). Nevertheless the following dependencies of irssi have
been upgrade since the start of the process (according to
"which-pkg-broke irssi"):

libssl1.0.0:amd64                                      Mon Jan  6 23:12:03 2014
libselinux1:amd64                                      Sat Jan 11 23:35:44 2014
libperl5.18                                            Wed Jan 15 17:11:03 2014
perl                                                   Wed Jan 15 17:11:08 2014
perl-base                                              Wed Jan 15 17:11:09 2014
perl-modules                                           Wed Jan 15 17:11:35 2014
dpkg                                                   Wed Jan 15 22:36:33 2014
libtinfo5:amd64                                        Mon Jan 20 22:41:42 2014
libncurses5:amd64                                      Mon Jan 20 22:41:45 2014
libffi6:amd64                                          Tue Jan 21 22:37:03 2014
tar                                                    Wed Feb  5 23:12:35 2014
libglib2.0-0:amd64                                     Mon Feb 17 10:41:29 2014
gcc-4.8-base:amd64                                     Thu Feb 20 11:50:17 2014
libgcc1:amd64                                          Thu Feb 20 11:50:20 2014
libc6:amd64                                            Mon Feb 24 17:04:28 2014
multiarch-support                                      Mon Feb 24 17:04:52 2014

HTH.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: jessie/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (990, 'unstable'), (600, 'testing'), (400, 'stable'), (110, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 3.12-trunk-amd64 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages irssi depends on:
ii  libc6                       2.18-3
ii  libglib2.0-0                2.38.2-5
ii  libncurses5                 5.9+20140118-1
ii  libperl5.18                 5.18.2-2
ii  libssl1.0.0                 1.0.1f-1
ii  libtinfo5                   5.9+20140118-1
ii  libval14                    2.0-1.1
ii  perl                        5.18.2-2
ii  perl-base [perlapi-5.18.1]  5.18.2-2

irssi recommends no packages.

Versions of packages irssi suggests:
ii  irssi-scripts  20131030

-- no debconf information