Subject: bash: Vcs-Bzr is out of date

From: Anders Kaseorg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 05:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

Source: bash
Version: 4.3-7
Severity: minor

bash’s debian/control lists

Vcs-Bzr: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~doko/+junk/pkg-bash-debian

However, this Bazaar repository doesn’t have any versions newer than 
4.2+dfsg-1.

Anders

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:12:09 -0400

> However, this Bazaar repository doesn’t have any versions newer than 

I can confirm that this continues to be the case.  i ran into it back in
January, and i've seen no updates to the bzr repo since then either.

In the absence of a public Vcs that tracks debian packaging for bash,
i've gone ahead and generated one that i'd feel comfortable contributing
to with:

   gbp import-dscs --debsnaps bash

I also pushed the resulting repository to salsa at
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/bash so hopefully other people will take
a look at it and consider working with it from there.

This is obviously unofficial -- i don't have the bandwidth to be the
debian maintainer for bash, and even if i did, i'm not interested in
hijacking the package away from Matthias.

But looking at the packaging, it looks like there are potentially
several cleanup/simplification steps that could be taken, and it could
be useful to have a place to coordinate that kind of work.

I've pushed the branch fix-747400 to the salsa repo as an example of how
we might do a bit of packaging collaboration.

Doko, I'd be happy if you see this as something you can use too.  Maybe
it'll make it easier to get more debian packaging contributions for bash
itself!  But if you prefer to coordinate it somewhere/somehow else,
please point the Vcs-* fields at that location and i'll be happy to use
it instead.

All the best,

        --dkg

---

From: Simon McVittie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2025 15:08:59 +0100

>a look at it and consider working with it from there.

While working on a Debian derivative I found myself wanting to refer to 
the versioning history of bash, so I've continued Daniel's work by 
importing all versions known to snapshot.debian.org between Debian 10 
and now. If there are no more bash uploads before Debian 13 (which seems 
reasonably likely now that we have passed the toolchain freeze), then this 
will cover the Debian 11, 12 and 13 stable releases.

I've tried to preserve the branching history for things like NMUs and 
experimental, so versions debian/5.2+dfsg-0.1 and 
debian/5.2.15-2+loong64 are only available as tags and do not exist on 
any branch (they were not merged as-is by the maintainer, so they are 
"dead ends" in the packaging history). Similarly, the debian/trixie and 
debian/master branches diverge after 5.2.32-1, to reflect 
testing/unstable and experimental having diverged after that point.

Similar to what Daniel said, this continues to be unofficial. It is 
hopefully useful to someone other than me, and can be used for reference 
or as a basis for sending patches, but the maintainer's (private?) 
revision history takes precedence, unless the maintainer decides to 
adopt the git repo as official.

Thanks,
     smcv

---

From: Gioele Barabucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2025 17:15:10 +0200

On 07/04/25 16:08, Simon McVittie wrote:
> reasonably likely now that we have passed the toolchain freeze), then 
> this will cover the Debian 11, 12 and 13 stable releases.

Hi Simon,

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash is another viable base 
repo. (I use it as a base for <https://salsa.debian.org/gioele/bash>.)

The branch `ubuntu/debian/sid` tracks all patches-unapplied versions of 
bash uploaded to unstable, so it should ("may"?) match the versions on 
snapshot.d.o. There are other branches tracking different releases and 
experimental.

Does your repo contain versions that are not present in the Ubuntu repo?

Regards,

-- 
Gioele Barabucci