Subject: Bug#764122: [tex-live] Bug#764122: MnSymbol and new[tp]x shouldn't be in the texlive-fonts-extra ghetto

From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:00:55 GMT

Hi Juliusz,

    What about mnsymbol?  It's a fairly small package, and is a simple,
    hassle-free way to get a bunch of mathematical symbols that blend
    relatively well with many common fonts

I guess I don't have any overwhelming argument against it, but it would
be nice if I had a note from at least one other user that moving it from
one collection to the other would be a practical benefit.

My general feeling is that for pretty much any package X in a
collection C, there is an argument that it should be in collection C2
instead.  So in self-defense, I try to be conservative in such moves.

Best,
Karl

---

From: Reinhard Kotucha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 02:31:30 +0200

On 2014-10-10 at 22:00:55 +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

 > Hi Juliusz,
 > 
 >     What about mnsymbol?  It's a fairly small package, and is a
 >     simple, hassle-free way to get a bunch of mathematical symbols
 >     that blend relatively well with many common fonts
 > 
 > I guess I don't have any overwhelming argument against it, but it
 > would be nice if I had a note from at least one other user that
 > moving it from one collection to the other would be a practical
 > benefit.
 > 
 > collection C, there is an argument that it should be in collection
 > C2 instead.  So in self-defense, I try to be conservative in such
 > moves.

IMO mnsymbol should be part of the collection containing all the other
math symbol fonts.  Whether it should be in texlive-fonts-extra or
in texlive-fonts-recommended is another thing.  But all math symbol
fonts should be in one and the same collection.  Otherwise the concept
of collections doesn't make sense anymore.

Regards,
  Reinhard

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------