Subject: Bug#806199: collectd: Please split each plugin config into a conffile snippet

From: Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:28:44 +0100

Hi!

On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 15:13:23 +0100, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:35:11AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > To ease customization, it would be nice if each default plugin
> > configuration (LoadPlugin and Plugin stanzas), or at least related
> > groups of them, could be moved into their own plugin-(name|group).conf
> > under /etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/, so that they could be modified
> > locally w/o triggering a conflict with changes on the rest of the
> > conffile on upgrades, or to be able to disable specific plugins by
> > just renaming them.

> I considered a plugins.available.d / plugins.enabled.d approach before,
> similar to how Apache or Nginx work on Debian. My only concern is that
> it would be a long list of files some of which would only include the
> LoadPlugin line since there's no further configuration to a lot of
> plugins. This may be less convenient to what we have today, so I'm not
> sure about the best option. Hence, I'd be happy about any feedback on
> this.

Right. I guess an option could be to start by splitting out config
fragmants for plugins that have a Plugin stanzas. That should help
with the bulk of the customizations. Having to deal with the main
config that only contains the remaining list of LoadPlugin would be
easier in comparison.

> I think groups are even harder to get right because I don't think
> there's much of natural grouping so any approach would be very use-case
> specific.

With groups, I was thinking on basic grouping for very strongly related
ones such as curl*, membache[cd] or redis and write_redis, but perhaps
even then there's no point in grouping these?

Thanks,
Guillem