Subject: Bug#806199: collectd: Please split each plugin config into a conffile snippet

From: Sebastian Harl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:13:23 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:35:11AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> To ease customization, it would be nice if each default plugin
> configuration (LoadPlugin and Plugin stanzas), or at least related
> groups of them, could be moved into their own plugin-(name|group).conf
> under /etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/, so that they could be modified
> locally w/o triggering a conflict with changes on the rest of the
> conffile on upgrades, or to be able to disable specific plugins by
> just renaming them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I considered a plugins.available.d / plugins.enabled.d approach before,
similar to how Apache or Nginx work on Debian. My only concern is that
it would be a long list of files some of which would only include the
LoadPlugin line since there's no further configuration to a lot of
plugins. This may be less convenient to what we have today, so I'm not
sure about the best option. Hence, I'd be happy about any feedback on
this.

I think groups are even harder to get right because I don't think
there's much of natural grouping so any approach would be very use-case
specific.

Cheers,
Sebastian

-- 
Sebastian "tokkee" Harl +++ GnuPG-ID: 0x2F1FFCC7 +++ http://tokkee.org/

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.         -- Benjamin Franklin