Subject: libdevice-usb-perl: please switch to libusb 1.0

From: Aurelien Jarno <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 19:37:27 +0100

Package: libdevice-usb-perl
Version: 0.36-3
Severity: wishlist

Dear Maintainer,

libdevice-usb-perl has a build-depends on libusb-dev. A few years ago upstream
has released a new major version libusb 1.0 with a different API which
aims to fix design deficiencies with USB 2.0 and 3.0 in mind.

The old libusb 0.1 package is not supported upstream anymore and should
be considered deprecated.

If libdevice-usb-perl supports the new libusb 1.0 library, please consider
switching the build-depends from libusb-dev to libusb-1.0-0-dev. If not
please inform upstream that porting the software to the new API is
recommended.

Thanks,
Aurelien

-- 
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B
[email-masked]                 http://www.aurel32.net

---

From: Florian Schlichting <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 22:50:05 +0200

> please inform upstream that porting the software to the new API is

libdevice-usb-perl is not ready to switch to the new libusb 1.0.
Upstream is aware of the issue (see for example
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=100852 and/or
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113422) but considers the
necessary changes to be substantial.

Also, upstream mentions that he's been looking to pass on maintenance of
Device::USB to somebody else as he doesn't need it and doesn't have time
to maintain it any more...

Florian

---

From: Aurelien Jarno <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 22:54:46 +0200

> to maintain it any more...

Ok, thanks for updating the status. 

Aurelien