Subject: Support usb dongles via usb-modeswitch and network-manager during installation

From: Pirate Praveen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:38:03 +0530

package: debian-installer
Severity: wishlist

I installed a desktop system using jessie 8.5 cd 1 image. Even though desktop was selected, I was booted into a text terminal because I could not use my usb dongle during installation. After the system is installed, I still could not use the dongle. After connecting my android phone and usb tethering, I could install usb-modeswitch and use internet.

I think graphical system with synaptic should be installed on CD 1. I understand the whole gnome can't fit into a CD, but it should be in a position to be able to install more software.

Can we install gdm3 and synaptic on CD1?

---

From: Holger Wansing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:09:30 +0200

Hi,

> Can we install gdm3 and synaptic on CD1?

With a CD1 install without network, you probably don't get an GUI system.
This is a known problem, see
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

Holger

-- 
============================================================
Created with Sylpheed 3.5.0 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   8 . 0   " J E S S I E " .

Registered Linux User #311290 - https://linuxcounter.net/
============================================================

---

From: Pirate Praveen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:25:46 +0530

> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

I understand the limitation, but thinks the solution can be better than
what we have currently. gdm3, gnome-session and synaptic will be a
better default (as gnome-desktop-enviroment is bigger than can be bit
into a CD) than a system without a gui. This allows a user to install
required packages from the network.

---

From: Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:00:30 +0200

Le mercredi, 13 juillet 2016, 12.38:03 h CEST Pirate Praveen a écrit :
> I installed a desktop system using jessie 8.5 cd 1 image. Even though
> desktop was selected, I was booted into a text terminal because I could not
> use my usb dongle during installation. After the system is installed, I
> still could not use the dongle. After connecting my android phone and usb
> tethering, I could install usb-modeswitch and use internet.

d-i _could_ make use of usb-modeswitch{,-data} without too much hassle, but 
that would just make the GSM modems appear. Then there's modemmanager as 
interface for it, and 3gpp is also needed. This makes for a lot of packages 
needed to be installed to get a network connection *during d-i*.

> I think graphical system with synaptic should be installed on CD 1.( …)
> 

You are mixing two entirely unrelated questions here:

* d-i context. It currently has (somewhat limited) WiFi support; we could 
discuss mobile broadband support (and this is the subject of your bugreport)
* what is installed by CD-1; you are arguing that usb-modeswitch{,-data} 
should be.

I can agree two both wishlist ideas, but they are unrelated.

-- 
Cheers,
    OdyX