Subject: Re: Bug#830951: Support usb dongles via usb-modeswitch and network-manager during installation

From: Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:00:30 +0200

Le mercredi, 13 juillet 2016, 12.38:03 h CEST Pirate Praveen a écrit :
> I installed a desktop system using jessie 8.5 cd 1 image. Even though
> desktop was selected, I was booted into a text terminal because I could not
> use my usb dongle during installation. After the system is installed, I
> still could not use the dongle. After connecting my android phone and usb
> tethering, I could install usb-modeswitch and use internet.

d-i _could_ make use of usb-modeswitch{,-data} without too much hassle, but 
that would just make the GSM modems appear. Then there's modemmanager as 
interface for it, and 3gpp is also needed. This makes for a lot of packages 
needed to be installed to get a network connection *during d-i*.

> I think graphical system with synaptic should be installed on CD 1.( …)
> 
> Can we install gdm3 and synaptic on CD1?

You are mixing two entirely unrelated questions here:

* d-i context. It currently has (somewhat limited) WiFi support; we could 
discuss mobile broadband support (and this is the subject of your bugreport)
* what is installed by CD-1; you are arguing that usb-modeswitch{,-data} 
should be.

I can agree two both wishlist ideas, but they are unrelated.

-- 
Cheers,
    OdyX