Subject: task-lxde-desktop: LXDE desktop does not include a web browser

From: Jonathan Dowland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 11:42:27 +0100

Package: task-lxde-desktop
Version: 3.31+deb8u1
Severity: important
X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]
Control: clone -1 -2 -3
Control: retitle -2 LXDE: screenshot key bound to launch gnome-screenshot, no dependency
Control: severity -2 normal
Control: retitle -3 LXDE: poor text wrapping for Wastebasket icon in default install
Control: severity -3 minor

I've just installed an LXDE desktop via task-lxde-desktop/the LXDE d-i
jessie LXDE spin CD1 with no networking during install.

The resulting desktop does not have a graphical web browser installed.
www-browser is being provided by w3m. Clicking on the web browser in
LXDE results in a pop-up

	"invalid desktop entry file: '/usr/share/applications/lxde-x-www-browser.desktop'

I discovered this because I noticed that the desktop had one icon on it
labelled "Wastebasket" but the text was wrapped on the last character, e.g.
"Wastebaske\nt". I wanted to report this as an unfortunate wrapping.

So I tried to take a screenshot by hitting "print screen". This resulted in a
pop up complaining that gnome-screenshot did not exist. I would argue this
was a missing dependency of the LXDE desktop task if it's bound to the print
screen key by default.

So I thought I'd do a quick web search to find an alternative way or package
to install to take a screenshot of the desktop, hence I clicked on the web
browser icon and discovered the above.

The above are all visible here:

	https://jmtd.net/tmp/lxde.png

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.4
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (990, 'stable'), (650, 'testing'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-x86_64-linode63 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

-- 
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

---

From: Holger Wansing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:58:48 +0200

> 	"invalid desktop entry file: '/usr/share/applications/lxde-x-www-browser.desktop'

This has been fixed in the meantime, lxde now recommends
firefox-esr | firefox | www-browser, and recommends are installed by default.

So closing this bug.

Holger

-- 
Holger Wansing <[email-masked]>
PGP-Finterprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076

---

From: Jonathan Dowland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:22:02 +0100

reopen 833268
found 833268 3.39
thanks

Hi Holger,

>firefox-esr | firefox | www-browser, and recommends are installed by default.

Thanks for taking a look at this but you have misunderstood the bug
report. www-browser was satisfied at the time, by w3m, which does not
provide x-www-browser (and there's no assertion anywhere that Provides:
www-browser means ships an alternative for x-www-browser)

The problem is there doesn't seem to be something like "x-www-browser"
virtual package name corresponding to the alternatives name. Chromium,
firefox, firefox-esr and epiphany provide "gnome-www-browser" which is
close, but obviously excludes (e.g.) konqueror, which merely provides
"info-browser, man-browser, www-browser".

The proper fix here, distribution wide, is to rationalise the virtual
package names for GUI browser packages. (A starting point might be to
post about the issue to -desktop, and I might do that.)

But for LXDE, the issue would also not occur if taskbar icons
configured to point at not-existent .desktop URIs were not drawn or
de-configured on session start-up.

-- 
Jonathan Dowland

---

From: Holger Wansing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 21:06:39 +0200

Hi,

Jonathan Dowland <[email-masked]> wrote:
> report. 

Maybe I tried to understand it as a bug against tasksel?

> www-browser was satisfied at the time, by w3m, which does not

Sorry, but you mix-up several problems into one bugreport, which are all
completely unrelated to the tasksel package. There is nothing that can
be done against all this in tasksel.
So there need to be other packages to be found, to file this against.

Holger

---

From: Jonathan Dowland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 20:35:25 +0100

>So there need to be other packages to be found, to file this against.

I agree, src:tasksel is not where this should be filed or fixed.
Whichever LXDE package ships the actual shortcut icon to launch
x-www-browser would be the culprit package. I'm no more an LXDE
packaging expert now than I was when I filed this, two years ago,
but I will make another effort to find a more appropriate package
and reassign.

-- 

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://jmtd.net
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

---

From: Holger Wansing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 21:37:28 +0200

Hi,

> Maybe I tried to understand it as a bug against tasksel?

Ah wait, the bug title says it all:
	"LXDE desktop does not include a web browser."

So I understood it all correctly? The problem in the title is indeed fixed.

Holger

---

From: Jonathan Dowland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 08:53:23 +0100

>So I understood it all correctly? The problem in the title is indeed fixed.

That's not an accurate summary of the problem. If I were to try and
summarize it as succinctly as possible, it would be

    "LXDE desktop include an icon to launch a graphical web browser,
    but does not depend upon one."

And that's still the situation since the virtual package www-browser ≠ a
graphical one, since it can be satisfied by w3m or links and others.

-- 

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://jmtd.net
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀