Subject: Bug#834401: sddm cannot set per user desktop choices

From: Pirate Praveen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:24:01 +0530

package: sddm
version: 0.13.0-1
severity: grave

I have two users in my system and when using sddm, each user has to
select their preferred desktop session **EVERY** single time. One user
wants KDE/Plasma and another GNOME. When first users selects GNOME and
logout, the second user also gets GNOME, even when they have selected
KDE/Plasma as their preferred session in previous login.

---

From: Maximiliano Curia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 08:12:37 +0200

Control: severity -1 normal

¡Hola Pirate!

> severity: grave

Sorry, this is bug alright, it's annoying, but still, it's a bug, it doesn't 
merit a grave severity.

> KDE/Plasma as their preferred session in previous login.

As a workaround you could use the .xsession script to start the desired 
session to each user.

Happy hacking,
-- 
"Nothing ever goes away." -- Commoner's Law of Ecology
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/

---

From: Pirate Praveen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:23:32 +0530

>Sorry, this is bug alright, it's annoying, but still, it's a bug, it

Alright. But isn't being able to choose a desktop environment a core functionality of a display manager?

---

From: Maximiliano Curia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:19:08 +0200

Control: tag -1 + upstream
Control: forwarded -1 https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/346

¡Hola Pirate!

> functionality of a display manager?

I don't remember xdm having a session selection (other than the .xsession 
file). Also, you can choose your desktop environment, it just won't record the 
last one chosen by each user (but only the last one chosen globally).

Anyway, the feature request upstream is: 
 https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/346

It's currently a post 1.0 goal, with some discussions about whether to use 
~/.dmrc, AccountsService or sssd...

Maybe a patch could move things forward (nudge, nudge).

Happy hacking,
-- 
 Porque no respeta el orden natural en el que se leen las cosas
 > ¿Por qué contestar al principio del mensaje es malo?
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/