Subject: Re: Bug#836211: dpkg: Cannot upgrade some packages on overlayfs: Invalid cross-device link

From: Raphael Hertzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 15:01:26 +0200

Control: reopen -1
Control: notfixed -1 4.10.0-1~exp1
Control: found -1 4.12.6-1

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I verified today that the issue is gone with Linux 4.12 and apparently
> the appropriate patches have been merged for Linux 4.10 already (merged by
> linus in commit ff0f962ca3c38239b299a70e7eea27abfbb979c3).

I don't know how I did my check last time, but I was wrong. The changes
merged above fixed issues about tools being confused with the unexpected
st_dev values on files but they did not fix the fact that overlayfs
might return EXDEV when renaming a directory that is part of the lower
layer.

So I'm opening the bug again.

Cheers,
-- 
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Support Debian LTS: https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html
Learn to master Debian: https://debian-handbook.info/get/