Subject: wicd-daemon packages dependencies

From: Jörg-Volker Peetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:31:44 +0200

Package: wicd-daemon
Version: 1.7.2.4-2
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainers,

the dependency on an dhcp client in the packages should be formulated with the
help of the virtual packet "dhcp-client" as something like

  dhcpcd | pump | udhcpc | dhcp-client

(Compare bug #680976.)

Furthermore, I would like to suggest to change the dependency on
"wireless-tools" to a recommendation, since with newer kernels this package
isn't mandatory any more.

-- 
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 04:36:14 +0100

Hi,

>   dhcpcd | pump | udhcpc | dhcp-client

I disagree here. Wicd has a list of supported DHCP clients and handles
each one differently depending on its features. AFAIK wicd is not
capable of talking to arbitrary DHCP clients. Hence the way #680976
has been fixed was correct.

> "wireless-tools" to a recommendation,

Indeed, wicd theoretically could be used to handle wired
configurations only. I'm though not sure if wicd works properly
without iwconfig, iwlist and friends installed, so I'm reluctant here.
Additionally, I consider such cases being very rare.

Less rare, but a similar case is the question if wpa-supplicant needs
to be a hard dependency. E.g. there might be users just connecting to
open or WEP-"secured" wifi networks. (But at least the latter case
should be very rare nowadays, too.)

I'd avoid these kind of changes before the Stretch release as they
need quite some testing. But I might reconsider them after the Stretch
release.

> since with newer kernels this package isn't mandatory any more.

I don't see why this would be relevant here. The sole reason for
downgrading these dependencies is because there might be use cases
where wireless at all is not needed. (AFAIK wicd can't yet use "iw"
instead of iwconfig and friends.)

		Regards, Axel
-- 
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
  `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

---

From: Jörg-Volker Peetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:36:24 +0100

Hi,

>>   dhcpcd | pump | udhcpc | dhcp-client

This means wicd does not cooperate with dhcpcd5?

> Additionally, I consider such cases being very rare.

The intention was not to dispense with wired networking, but that the package iw
"will become the canonical command line tool for wireless configuration" as it
says in its description.

> instead of iwconfig and friends.)
I didn't know that.

> 		Regards, Axel
By the way, I recommended this because I intended to use wicd. I'm not a heavy
user of wireless networking. Maybe, the priority of this bug should then be set
to wishlist?

Regards,
Jörg-Volker.

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 17:49:58 +0100

Control: severity -1 wishlist
Control: clone -1 -2
Control: retitle -1 wicd-daemon: should only recommend wireless-tools and wpa-supplicant
Control: retitle -2 wicd-daemon: Should switch from iwconfig/ifconfig to iw/ip
Control: tag -2 + upstream
Control: forwarded -2 https://blueprints.launchpad.net/wicd/+spec/support-ip-iw

Hi,

> This means wicd does not cooperate with dhcpcd5?

My immediate repsonse would have been: It does work with dhcpcd5
because after https://bugs.debian.org/783272 we updated that
dependency to dhcpcd5.

But your question made me think and after some checking I noticed that
I probably assumed too much for that change: dhcpcd5 does only provide
/sbin/dhcpcd5 while wicd searches for "dhcpcd" without "5". So it
likely never find "dhcpcd5".

So the next thing is to check if changing the paths inside wicd from
dhcpcd to dhcpcd5 suffices to fix that or if that renaming was because
of interface incompatibilities -- which could mean that wicd can't use
dhcpcd[5] at all anymore in Debian.

Will have closer look at that. Thanks for making me aware of that
(even if unintended :-).

> "will become the canonical command line tool for wireless configuration" as it
[...]
> > instead of iwconfig and friends.)

Ah, ok. 

See https://blueprints.launchpad.net/wicd/+spec/support-ip-iw for the
upstream thoughts on that. (Not much there yet, though.)

> user of wireless networking. Maybe, the priority of this bug should then be set

Indeed. And split up into two separate issues.

Thanks!

		Regards, Axel

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:06:10 +0200

Hi Guido,

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 03:17:22AM -0700, Guido Maria Serra wrote:
> > The only thing I haven't included yet in this fork are the changed
> > shebang lines which need to be python3 instead of just python at
> > least as of now on Debian. Can add that as a commit to this or a new
> > pull request, though.
> 
> merged & updated the python3 refs 
> https://github.com/zeph/wicd/commit/5860ad8251990d68feb66803347bb4845dfb8a5d

Yay, thanks! Wasn't sure if this is generally needed/wanted.

> > wicd-curses still throws deprecation warnings for me:
> > 
> > /usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py:1249: PyGIDeprecationWarning:
> > GObject.timeout_add is deprecated; use GLib.timeout_add
> > instead  gobject.timeout_add(2000,
[...]
> > Might fix that later — unless someone else fixes it first.
> 
> yeah... later...

Ok, will see if I get this fixed on my own. At least wicd-curses is my
next target as that's my personally preferred wicd UI. :-)

> I also have to swap the underlying command from "iwlist" to "iw"
> (completely different kernel calls) all over the place (and related
> regex)

Yay, thanks for tackling this! This would solve
https://bugs.debian.org/852333 (Cc'ed, too) in Debian, too.

I'll probably do an upload to Debian Experimental once I got at least
one client working.

		Regards, Axel
-- 
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
  `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

---

From: Guido Maria Serra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:04:10 +0200

updating with the correct recipients (else it won't make it in the
debian tracker)
p.s. I just migrated the official repo in git (from bzr) 
https://code.launchpad.net/wicd
@Alex got a launchpad account?

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:19:27 +0200

Hi Guido,

> https://code.launchpad.net/wicd

Yay!

Do you intent to continue development (and bug tracker) there or on
Github?

If you'll stay on Launchpad, I'd suggest to make an automatic mirror
to the current Github repo to make the project more visible. It would
also allow others to still make receive pull requests there.

> @Alex got a launchpad account?

Did you mean me, Axel (not Alex)? If so, yes:
https://launchpad.net/~xtaran

		Regards, Axel

---

From: Guido Maria Serra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:30:19 +0200

> Do you intent to continue development (and bug tracker) there or on

seems natural to me that we keep working on the original place where
the code has always been known to be ...so Launchpad, unless you see a benefit of moving

> also allow others to still make receive pull requests there.

is there an easy way to do that?

> https://launchpad.net/~xtaran

yeah, sorry Axel... :) 
...please join me on the https://launchpad.net/~wicd-devel
seems I cannot add you directly, but you need to request membership

best,
GMS

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:35:19 +0200

Hi Guido,

Guido Maria Serra wrote:
> the code has always been known to be

Yeah.

> is there an easy way to do that?

I know that such repositories exist on Github, e.g.
https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh

I was though unable to create such a repo myself.

[Axel vs Alex]
> yeah, sorry Axel... :)

No problem. Seems a common issue for people from south of Europe.
Probably because Axel is more common in Scandinavia and Alex is more
common in southern Europe. (So yes, I'm used to it. :-)

> seems I cannot add you directly, but you need to request membership

Done.

		Regards, Axel

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:45:37 +0200

Hi,

> https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh

Another one is https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc

> I was though unable to create such a repo myself.

Seems no more possible easily:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/11420551/793172

And https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-mirrors/ listed
there in the meanwhile redirects to
https://help.github.com/en/articles/finding-open-source-projects-on-github#open-source-projects-with-mirrors-on-github
which basically (nowadays) says you should use a post-receive hook in
the mirrored repository. :-(

		Regards, Axel

---

From: Guido Maria Serra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 16:25:28 +0200

Hi Axel, please make a package of the latest master branch
https://git.launchpad.net/wicd/commit/?id=8838da1ce327edab7bacd7c4acdebff8c53edb04

I did fix lots of things... and I need to start testing on my laptop
with a python3 based package
(else I go crazy moving patches back and forward from my OS deployed
files...)

it does implement the parsing of the new "iw scan" tool, with the
cfg80211 specs

best,
GMS

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 16:40:48 +0200

Hi Guido,

Guido Maria Serra wrote:
> I did fix lots of things...

Yay, will do.

> and I need to start testing on my laptop with a python3 based
> package

Ok. I'm a bit busy these days, so I can't really promise anything
before next week. But I might find some time.

> (else I go crazy moving patches back and forward from my OS deployed

Hehe, can imagine.

> it does implement the parsing of the new "iw scan" tool, with the

Yay, thanks!

		Regards, Axel