Subject: Bug#867601: slim: should no longer run the Xorg server as root

From: Salvatore Bonaccorso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 19:24:34 +0200

Source: slim
Version: 1.3.6-5.1
Severity: wishlist
Tags: security

Hi

Similarly as for lightdm, #809067, the Xorg server no longer needs to
be run as root. Cf. /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/NEWS.Debian.gz:

----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----
xorg-server (2:1.17.3-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  The Xorg server is no longer setuid root by default.  This change reduces the
  risk of privilege escalation due to X server bugs, but has some side effects:

  * it relies on logind and libpam-systemd
  * it relies on a kernel video driver (so the userspace component doesn't
    touch the hardware directly)
  * it needs X to run on the virtual console (VT) it was started from
  * it changes the location for storing the Xorg log from /var/log/ to
    ~/.local/share/xorg/

  On systems where those are not available, the new xserver-xorg-legacy package
  is needed to allow X to run with elevated privileges.  See the
  Xwrapper.config(5) manual page for configuration details.

 -- Julien Cristau <[email-masked]>  Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:54:11 +0000
----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----

Regards,
Salvatore