Subject: Re: AH00060: seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process

From: Jérôme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 09:48:51 +0100

In case that helps, I just noticed a similar error.

I have a maintenance script that

- modifies a config file to put the application in maintenance mode
- systemctl reload apache2
- performs database maintenance
- sets the old config back
- systemctl reload apache2

When using this on a new installation where the DB is empty, the 
maintenance task takes an instant, and the script basically does

     systemctl reload apache2; systemctl reload apache2

which is enough to reproduce the crash.

Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> This sounds a lot like 
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1376835

This bug report reads :

> The problem (httpd with worker/event mpm segfaults after multiple 
> successive graceful reloads) was fixed in 2.4.6-53.el7 (Development 
> Version)

However, I'm using Debian Stretch's 2.4.25-3+deb9u6 so AFAIU, this 
should include the patch.

Unless there is something specific to my configuration, the issue can be 
easily reproduced with

     systemctl reload apache2; systemctl reload apache2

When adding a sleep of a few hundreds milliseconds in between, the crash 
does not happen.

Also worth noting that despite the error message, apache is up and 
running at the end of the process, so AFAICT, this is just noise in the 
logs.

-- 
Jérôme