Subject: Bug#885698: What licenses should be included in /usr/share/common-licenses?

From: Hideki Yamane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:30:07 +0530

On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 22:41:48 -0700
Russ Allbery <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >  How about just pointing SPDX licenses URL for whole license text and
> >  lists DFSG-free licenses from that? (but yes, we should adjust short
> >  name of licenses for DEP-5 and SPDX for it).
> 
> Can we do this legally?  If we can, it certainly has substantial merits,
> but I'm not sure that this satisfies the requirement in a lot of licenses
> to distribute a copy of the license along with the work.  Some licenses
> may allow that to be provided as a URL, but I don't think they all do
> (which makes sense since people may receive Debian on physical media and
> not have Internet access).

 Hmm, how about providing license-common package and that depends on
 "license-common-list", and ISO image provides both, then? It would be
 no regressions.

 I expect license-common-list data as below

 license-short-name: URL
 GPL-2: file:///usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2
 Boost-1.0: https://spdx.org/licenses/BSL-1.0.html

-- 
Hideki Yamane <[email-masked]>