Subject: Bug#901609: dpkg-dev: dpkg-buildpackage ignores DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS

From: Drew Parsons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 00:48:16 +0200

> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the request, but this is inside-out,
> dpkg-buildpackage always calls debian/rules (and never the other way
> around) so whatever is set from within that file will not be visible
> to the outter process. dpkg-buildpckage does not (and cannot) really
> care what you do with either of the variables in debian/rules. :)
> 
> Barring some misunderstanding from my part, I'm planning on closing
> this report in a bit.

The problem is this:  in debian/rules I have DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck,
which is used (I don't know by what exactly) to prevent the build
system from automatically running test.

But lintian complains that it should be set to DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS
instead.

But when I change it to DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=nocheck (or "export
DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=nocheck"), the tests are run.
DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS is being ignored at build time.

Is it dh and debhelper that the bug needs to be sent to?