Subject: changing socket permissions seems to be the best solution for now

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:11:55 +0100

I tried the different methods suggested in this bug report, but had
no success with any of them.

Using

  stats_writer_socket_path=

causes "doveadm index" to fail with

 bjorn@canardo:~$ doveadm index -q -u bjorn INBOX.Spam
 doveadm(bjorn): Error: net_connect_unix() failed: Connection refused

This can probably be worked around.  But I'd prefer too many hacks just
to make stuff work again...

For now I ended up using:

service stats {
  unix_listener stats-writer {
    mode = 0666
  }
}

I don't want to add mail users to the dovecot group. It's unclear to me
what privileges this will result in now and in the future. And I don't
want to maintain yet another mail user group anyway.

This mess should really be sorted out.  Either there should be a way to
easily disable the stats service, or using it should be allowed for all
currently unprivileged operations.  By default.

Bjørn