Subject: Re: Bug#903428: javadocs generated by javahelper include jquery

From: Markus Koschany <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 23:14:28 +0200

Am 09.07.2018 um 23:01 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 09/07/2018 à 22:41, Christoph Berg a écrit :
> 
>> Or even better, have javadoc put in the symlink.
> 
> Not a good idea. The javadoc generated would no longer be usable outside
> Debian. Developers would no longer be able to generate the javadoc of
> their libraries a upload it to a web server.

I think this should work in the context of Debian. It's kind of funny
that we always argue about the usage of Debian packages (e.g. the Spring
framework clearly intended to be for web development, affected by
numerous security vulnerabilities but it is assumed nobody uses it in
production environments but only for building unrelated packages), still
we care about the use case of shipping javadoc outside of a Debian
environment.

In my opinion this issue should be fixed at the OpenJDK level. I am the
one who filed bug #883981 and I'm a bit disappointed that it was closed
automatically, not even reassigned to openjdk-10. IMO it would be
possible to create a javahelper/maven-debian-helper/etc option to choose
between embedding jquery into javadoc or symlinking to the system
libraries. I believe the use case of viewing javadoc outside of a Debian
system is negligible and we should just symlink jquery.

Markus