Subject: Bug#911184: wicd-daemon: Please make log file location configurable

From: Dmitry Bogatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:55:46 +0000

Package: wicd-daemon
Version: 1.7.4+tb2-6
Severity: wishlist

Dear Maintainer,

please make log file location configurable at run time. I am working on
integrating wicd-daemon with Runit supervision system, which assumes
logging on stdout.

In most cases, daemons have option to specify log file location, and
providing /dev/stdout fulfils my needs. Wicd, on other hand have path
to log file hardcoded in setup.py. Please, add a bit of flexibility.

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 02:30:15 +0200

Control: tag -1 + moreinfo

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
> I am working on integrating wicd-daemon with Runit supervision
> system, which assumes logging on stdout.

Cool!

> please make log file location configurable at run time.
> 
> to log file hardcoded in setup.py.

There is indeed a directory path (not file path!) in setup.py, but the
hardcoded file name is actually in wicd/wicd-daemon.py.

Then again, wicd/logfile.py seems to have already support for logging
to stdout or stderr.

And as I read the code from wicd/wicd-daemon.py lines 1803 to 1827 and
lines 1882 to 1905, starting the daemon with the option --no-stdout
(sic!) should do what you want. Alternatively try --no-stderr

Can you check if these options already help for your needs?

		Regards, Axel
-- 
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
  `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

---

From: Dmitry Bogatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:00:39 +0000

[2018-10-17 02:30] Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
> Hi Dmitry,

Hi, Axel

> Can you check if these options already help for your needs?

Not exactly. There are two kind of data, that is stored in
/var/log/wicd/wicd.log:

 * stdout/stderr from subprocessed, that wicd executes
 * messages from wicd proper like 'Autoconnecting...'

If I specify --no-{stdout,stderr}, first group of messages will indeed
go to standard streams of wicd, but messages from wicd proper will go
to /var/log/wicd/wicd.log nevertheless.

---

From: Axel Beckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 20:40:45 +0200

Control: tag -1 - moreinfo + upstream

Hi Dmitry,

> to /var/log/wicd/wicd.log nevertheless.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Will see what I can do.

		Regards, Axel

---

From: Giap Tran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 18:21:10 +0700

Hi Dmitry,

The first, sorry for delay processing,

> to /var/log/wicd/wicd.log nevertheless.

I've already tested wicd by run the command (on stable and testing version):

/usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py \
 --keep-connection --no-stderr --no-stdout --no-daemon

But I did not see any logs goto log file, all of them go to {stdout,stderr}.
The string 'Autoconnecting...' (unique) is really on {stdout,stderr}.

Could you have a look? And please tell me know if I forgot anything.

Best regards,

-- 
Giap Tran <[email-masked]>
GnuPG/0xB8E9A6F112C2D7B7

---

From: Dmitry Bogatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 09:05:05 +0000

[2018-11-05 18:21] Giap Tran <[email-masked]>

> But I did not see any logs goto log file, all of them go to
> {stdout,stderr}.  The string 'Autoconnecting...' (unique) is really on
> {stdout,stderr}.

Checked again. Seems I missed something before, it is okay now.
Sorry for noise, thank you for replies.

---

From: "Debian Bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 15:28:00 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the wicd-daemon package:

#911184: wicd-daemon: Please make log file location configurable

It has been closed by Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
911184: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=911184
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Bug#968033: Removed package(s) from unstable
From: Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 15:20:20 +0000

Version: 1.7.4+tb2-6+rm

Dear submitter,

as the package wicd has just been removed from the Debian archive
unstable we hereby close the associated bug reports.  We are sorry
that we couldn't deal with your issue properly.

For details on the removal, please see https://bugs.debian.org/968033

The version of this package that was in Debian prior to this removal
can still be found using http://snapshot.debian.org/.

Please note that the changes have been done on the master archive and
will not propagate to any mirrors until the next dinstall run at the
earliest.

This message was generated automatically; if you believe that there is
a problem with it please contact the archive administrators by mailing
[email-masked].

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Sean Whitton (the ftpmaster behind the curtain)

Subject: wicd-daemon: Please make log file location configurable
From: Dmitry Bogatov <[email-masked]>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:55:46 +0000

Package: wicd-daemon
Version: 1.7.4+tb2-6
Severity: wishlist

Dear Maintainer,