Subject: FATAL gnome-shell loops on boot filling up syslog

From: Robert Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 13:56:05 +0000

Package: gnome-shell

Version: 3.30.1-2

Testing 4.19.0-1 (buster amd64)

Cannot boot my laptop. gnome-shell fills up syslog with these messages.

There may be some typo's as I had to write this down and go to the
local library.

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X1024: No such
file or directory

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X1025: No such
file or directory

These repeat with the X number increasing by one until I remove the
battery and then restart in recovery mode. The last lines are as
follows:-

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X120805: No such
file or directory

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X120806: No such
file or directory

kernel:[   134.986875] do.trap: 14 callbacks suppressed

kernel:[   134.986878] traps: gnome-shell[1458] trap int3
ip:7fe777dd4be5 sp:7ffdcca78120 error:0 in
libglib-2.0.so.5800.2[7fe777d9c000+7e00]

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X120807: No such
file or directory

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to bind to /tmp/.X11-unix/X120809: No such
file or directory

gnome-shell[1458]: failed to write pid to lock file /tmp/.X120810-lock

gnome-shell[1458]: Failed to create an X lock file

gnome-shell[1458]: Failed to start X Wayland

Please fix this ASAP. My laptop is dead in the water.

TIA,

Robert