Subject: Bug#936854 closed by Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]> (Bug#936854: fixed in libewf 20140807-2)

From: "Debian Bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 16:24:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the src:libewf package:

#936854: libewf: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

It has been closed by Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
936854: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=936854
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Bug#936854: fixed in libewf 20140807-2
From: Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 16:21:14 +0000

Source: libewf
Source-Version: 20140807-2

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
libewf, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to [email-masked],
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]> (supplier of updated libewf package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing [email-masked])

Format: 1.8
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 16:38:28 +0100
Source: libewf
Architecture: source
Version: 20140807-2
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: medium
Maintainer: Debian Security Tools <[email-masked]>
Changed-By: Raphaël Hertzog <[email-masked]>
Closes: 936854
Changes:
 libewf (20140807-2) unstable; urgency=medium
 .
   * Team upload.
   * Update team maintainer address to Debian Security Tools
     <[email-masked]>
   * Drop Christophe Monniez from Uploaders
   * Drop Python 2 support (Closes: #936854)
   * Force autoconf as build system
   * Drop @ax_libfguid_pc_libs_private@ from libewf.pc
   * Drop unused paragraph in copyright file
   * Add Build-Depends-Package field to the symbols file
   * Switch to debhelper compat level 12
   * Bump Standards-Version to 4.4.1
Checksums-Sha1:
 bb3bd322b6c2b63e83e0d750f59ab8ab96ddf008 1902 libewf_20140807-2.dsc
 d66b77aad848dea0d680ad5ffccd5972426522b6 7320 libewf_20140807-2.debian.tar.xz
 b79558fa04b4444a7d9eb1f1a835b9ff03ecac2d 6533 libewf_20140807-2_source.buildinfo
Checksums-Sha256:
 9ad0574d07a853fb8cf485655611c00d9fe085346ea2dd132b078c9ea6a35562 1902 libewf_20140807-2.dsc
 0d3ac49af812985721218b57911fa00d42ddc201bb63170254c6cc9e101ca6a8 7320 libewf_20140807-2.debian.tar.xz
 529f97753774913f896dc74de8b83dc0e94ba070be6444442aeac4c981013e5d 6533 libewf_20140807-2_source.buildinfo
Files:
 333769243d58b8eb539c5d60f8565cb5 1902 libs optional libewf_20140807-2.dsc
 51e4d230d0cd02ea987c13825e03b417 7320 libs optional libewf_20140807-2.debian.tar.xz
 57a59f95525fe12e7c957af56c3560a2 6533 libs optional libewf_20140807-2_source.buildinfo

Subject: libewf: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye
From: Matthias Klose <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 07:23:11 +0000

Package: src:libewf
Version: 20140804-1
Severity: normal
Tags: sid bullseye
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: py2removal

Python2 becomes end-of-live upstream, and Debian aims to remove
Python2 from the distribution, as discussed in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/07/msg00080.html

Your package either build-depends, depends on Python2, or uses Python2
in the autopkg tests.  Please stop using Python2, and fix this issue
by one of the following actions.

- Convert your Package to Python3. This is the preferred option.  In
  case you are providing a Python module foo, please consider dropping
  the python-foo package, and only build a python3-foo package.  Please
  don't drop Python2 modules, which still have reverse dependencies,
  just document them.
  
  This is the preferred option.

- If the package is dead upstream, cannot be converted or maintained
  in Debian, it should be removed from the distribution.  If the
  package still has reverse dependencies, raise the severity to
  "serious" and document the reverse dependencies with the BTS affects
  command.  If the package has no reverse dependencies, confirm that
  the package can be removed, reassign this issue to ftp.debian.org,
  make sure that the bug priority is set to normal and retitle the
  issue to "RM: PKG -- removal triggered by the Python2 removal".

- If the package has still many users (popcon >= 300), or is needed to
  build another package which cannot be removed, document that by
  adding the "py2keep" user tag (not replacing the py2remove tag),
  using the [email-masked] user.  Also any
  dependencies on an unversioned python package (python, python-dev)
  must not be used, same with the python shebang.  These have to be
  replaced by python2/python2.7 dependencies and shebang.

  This is the least preferred option.

If the conversion or removal needs action on another package first,
please document the blocking by using the BTS affects command, like

  affects <bug number of blocking py2removal bug> + src:libewf

If there is no py2removal bug for that reverse-dependency, please file
a bug on this package (similar to this bug report).

If there are questions, please refer to the wiki page for the removal:
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/2Removal, or ask for help on IRC
#debian-python, or the [email-masked] mailing list.