Subject: RE: Bug#948288: gnome-shell reproducibly crashes on boot, and the boot process gets stuck

From: "Md Ayquassar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 04:23:20 +0300

First, thanks for a quick response.
Second, is a reassignment to some Mesa package required?
Third, is there anything else I can do as a user to help the developers to bugfix
this? Bug at line 1017 is strange: if there is a NULL dereference there, there
should also probably be one in line 1016 unless someone has a deterministic
concurrent access to that data.
Fourth, I apologize for long delays.I don’t always have the laptop at my direct
disposal.

  31.01.2020, 02:09, Bernhard Übelacker <[email-masked]> Hello Md
  Ayquassar,
  sorry, I did not recognize that you
  seem to have a usrmerge'd system.

  Then I get following backtraces from your
  core dump, with and without debug symbols.

  It looks like a function pointer gets called
  unconditionally, while containing NULL.
  Seems to be graphics driver related.

  Kind regards,
  Bernhard

  https://sources.debian.org/src/mesa/18.3.6-2/src/egl/drivers/dri2/egl_dri2.c/#L1017

  (gdb) bt
  #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
  #1 0xaf7d2c74 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libEGL_mesa.so.0
  #2 0xaf7d755e in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libEGL_mesa.so.0
  #3 0xade2d004 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeon_dri.so
  #4 0xade2d812 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeon_dri.so
  #5 0xade9232f in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeon_dri.so
  #6 0xaf7d29ba in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libEGL_mesa.so.0
  #7 0xaf7c061c in eglMakeCurrent () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libEGL_mesa.so.0
  #8 0xb4cd8b58 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libEGL.so.1
  #9 0xb674a1bd in _cogl_winsys_egl_make_current () from
  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mutter/libmutter-cogl-3.so
  #10 0xb6d8f1f6 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #11 0xb6ceaca4 in meta_renderer_rebuild_views () from
  /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #12 0xb6d920fa in meta_stage_native_rebuild_views () from
  /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #13 0xb6d83ba7 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #14 0xb6ccf11a in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #15 0xb6ccff40 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #16 0xb6d83f98 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #17 0xb6cd053a in meta_clutter_init () from
  /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #18 0xb6d20323 in meta_init () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmutter-3.so.0
  #19 0x004ad53d in ?? ()
  #20 0xb6aa2b41 in __libc_start_main (main=0x4ad430, argc=1, argv=0xbff2c2a4,
  init=0x4adfa0, fini=0x4ae000, rtld_fini=0xb7f97520 <_dl_fini>,
  stack_end=0xbff2c29c) at ../csu/libc-start.c:308
  #21 0x004ad8d1 in ?? ()
  (gdb)

  Core was generated by `/usr/bin/gnome-shell'.
  Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
  [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0xb1f2eb80 (LWP 899))]
  (gdb) set width 0
  (gdb) set pagination off
  (gdb) bt
  #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
  #1 0xaf7d2c74 in dri2_egl_surface_alloc_local_buffer (dri2_surf=0x1b8e9f0,
  att=9, format=32) at ../src/egl/drivers/dri2/egl_dri2.c:1017
  #2 0xaf7d755e in dri2_drm_get_buffers_with_format (driDrawable=0x1b73580,
  width=0x1b73598, height=0x1b7359c, attachments=0xbff2bb04, count=2,
  out_count=0xbff2baf8, loaderPrivate=0x1b8e9f0) at
  ../src/egl/drivers/dri2/platform_drm.c:344
  #3 0xade2d004 in radeon_update_renderbuffers (context=0x19e7d60,
  drawable=0x1b73580, front_only=0 '\000') at
  ../src/mesa/drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_common_context.c:421
  #4 0xade2d812 in radeonMakeCurrent (driContextPriv=0x19e7d60,
  driDrawPriv=0x1b73580, driReadPriv=0x1b73580) at
  ../src/mesa/drivers/dri/radeon/radeon_common_context.c:616
  #5 0xade9232f in driBindContext (pcp=0x19e7d60, pdp=0x1b73580, prp=0x1b73580)
  at ../src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/dri_util.c:579
  #6 0xaf7d29ba in dri2_make_current (drv=0x19e5120, disp=0x19e49c0,
  dsurf=0x1b8e9f0, rsurf=0x1b8e9f0, ctx=<optimized out>) at
  ../src/egl/drivers/dri2/egl_dri2.c:1516
  #7 0xaf7c061c in eglMakeCurrent (dpy=0x19e49c0, draw=0x1b8e9f0,
  read=0x1b8e9f0, ctx=0x19fe5c0) at ../src/egl/main/eglapi.c:860
  #8 0xb4cd8b58 in InternalMakeCurrentVendor (dpy=0x19e3dd0, draw=draw@entry=0x1b8e9f0,
  read=0x1b8e9f0, read@entry=0x19c3310, context=0x19fe5c0, apiState=0x19fe360,
  vendor=<optimized out>) at ../../../src/EGL/libegl.c:861
  #9 0xb4cd9606 in eglMakeCurrent (dpy=<optimized out>, draw=<optimized out>,
  read=0x1b8e9f0, context=0x19fe5c0) at ../../../src/EGL/libegl.c:727
  #10 0xb674a1bd in _cogl_winsys_egl_make_current (display=0x19ca4d8,
  draw=0x1b8e9f0, read=0x1b8e9f0, context=0x19fe5c0) at
  winsys/cogl-winsys-egl.c:300
  #11 0xb6d8f1f6 in meta_renderer_native_create_view (renderer=0x19c8610,
  logical_monitor=0x19bbf20) at backends/native/meta-renderer-native.c:2949
  #12 0xb6ceaca4 in meta_renderer_create_view (logical_monitor=<optimized out>,
  renderer=0x19c8610) at ./backends/meta-renderer.h:36
  #13 meta_renderer_rebuild_views (renderer=0x19c8610) at
  backends/meta-renderer.c:73
  #14 0xb6d920fa in meta_stage_native_rebuild_views (stage_native=0x19c2470) at
  backends/native/meta-stage-native.c:141
  #15 0xb6d83ba7 in meta_backend_native_update_screen_size (backend=0x19a48b8,
  width=1024, height=768) at backends/native/meta-backend-native.c:493
  #16 0xb6ccf11a in meta_backend_sync_screen_size (backend=backend@entry=0x19a48b8)
  at backends/meta-backend-private.h:52
  #17 0xb6ccff40 in meta_backend_real_post_init (backend=0x19a48b8) at
  backends/meta-backend.c:442
  #18 0xb6d83f98 in meta_backend_native_post_init (backend=0x19a48b8) at
  ./backends/meta-backend-private.h:52
  #19 0xb6cd053a in meta_backend_post_init (backend=<optimized out>) at
  backends/meta-backend-private.h:52
  #20 meta_clutter_init () at backends/meta-backend.c:1239
  #21 0xb6d20323 in meta_init () at core/main.c:598
  #22 0x004ad53d in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>) at
  ../src/main.c:465