Subject: Bug#967641: mozc: depends on deprecated GTK 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 11:55:43 +0100

Source: mozc
Severity: normal
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: gtk2 oldlibs
Control: block 947713 by -1

This package has Build-Depends on GTK 2 (libgtk2.0-dev), or produces
binary packages with a Depends on GTK 2.

GTK 2 was superseded by GTK 3 in 2011 (see
<https://bugs.debian.org/947713>). It no longer receives any significant
upstream maintenance, and in particular does not get feature development
for new features like UI scaling on high-pixel-density displays (HiDPI)
and native Wayland support. GTK 3 is in maintenance mode and GTK 4 is
approaching release, so it seems like a good time to be thinking about
minimizing the amount of GTK 2 in the archive.

GTK 2 is used by some important productivity applications like GIMP, and
has also historically been a popular UI toolkit for proprietary software
that we can't change, so perhaps removing GTK 2 from Debian will never be
feasible. However, it has reached the point where a dependency on it is
a bug - not a release-critical bug, and not a bug that can necessarily
be fixed quickly, but a piece of technical debt that maintainers should
be aware of.

A porting guide is provided in the GTK 3 documentation:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/migrating.html

Some libraries (for example libgtkspell0) expose GTK as part of their
API/ABI, in which case removing the deprecated dependency requires
breaking API/ABI. For these libraries, in many cases there will already
be a corresponding GTK 3 version (for example libgtkspell3-3-0), in which
case the GTK 2-based library should probably be deprecated or removed
itself. If there is no GTK 3 equivalent, of a GTK 2-based library,
maintainers should talk to the dependent library's upstream developers
about whether the dependent library should break API/ABI and switch
to GTK 3, or whether the dependent library should itself be deprecated
or removed.

A few packages extend GTK 2 by providing plugins (theme engines, input
methods, etc.) or themes, for example ibus and mate-themes. If these
packages deliberately support GTK 2 even though it is deprecated, and
they also support GTK 3, then it is appropriate to mark this mass-filed
bug as wontfix for now. I have tried to exclude these packages from
the mass-bug-filing, but I probably missed some of them.

Regards,
    smcv

---

From: "Debian Bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 10:59:35 +0000

Thank you for filing a new Bug report with Debian.

You can follow progress on this Bug here: 967641: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=967641.

This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
has been received.

Your message has been forwarded to the package maintainers (but not
other interested parties, as you requested) for their attention; they
will reply in due course.

Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
 Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>

If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
send it to [email-masked].

Please do not send mail to [email-masked] unless you wish
to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.

-- 
967641: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=967641
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

---

From: SHITAMORI Akira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 08:04:42 +0900

https://github.com/google/mozc/issues/492

Upstream has moved to QT based

---

From: "Debian Bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 03:36:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the src:mozc package:

#967641: mozc: depends on deprecated GTK 2

It has been closed by Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]> (reply to Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>).

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]> (reply to Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>) by
replying to this email.

Subject: Bug#967641: fixed in mozc 2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1
From: Debian FTP Masters <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 03:33:54 +0000

Source: mozc
Source-Version: 2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1
Done: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
mozc, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
attached.

Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed.  If you
have further comments please address them to [email-masked],
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.

Debian distribution maintenance software
pp.
Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]> (supplier of updated mozc package)

(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing [email-masked])

Format: 1.8
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 11:14:00 +0900
Source: mozc
Architecture: source
Version: 2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1
Distribution: experimental
Urgency: medium
Maintainer: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>
Changed-By: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <[email-masked]>
Closes: 100201 967641
Changes:
 mozc (2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1) experimental; urgency=medium
 .
   * New upstream release. (Closes: #100201, #967641)
   * Update d/control.
     - Use libgtk-3-dev instead of libgtk2.0-dev in B-D. (Closes: #967641)
     - Bumped Standards-Version to 4.6.0.1.
   * Convert renderer Gtk2 to Gtk3.
     Add debian/patches/0008-renderer-Convert-Gtk2-to-Gtk3.patch.
   * Update d/rules.
     - Remove white space.
   * Update d/copyright.
     - Update copyright year.
   * Update d/changelog.
     - Remove white space.
   * Update d/uim-mozc.install.
     - Use DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH instead of DEB_BUILD_MULTIARCH.
Checksums-Sha1:
 f907b89454b3fe94ec92d8cfbeb2d1ee668b09a2 3101 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.dsc
 34612e19fec2b610afe2aeba98d40795c4bb0e7a 20308964 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg.orig.tar.xz
 d93a3ff59b5ad3c224e037fc4f6a07db585ae4d8 134012 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
 517cda4d4f6b2c2a4ba0fa86577c828b0b8bca87 22094 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1_amd64.buildinfo
Checksums-Sha256:
 376cf33b8e13e42e4d4f050e487f58472d537f42f83bc1792c6202cf20679cc7 3101 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.dsc
 664f75295da013047467052e82f77678839604bea3a8f3a57e580c10f1173aac 20308964 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg.orig.tar.xz
 02d4430b416507c7967acd0e3fabcae450dfd0b319c86d82d01c0e14e6d178c5 134012 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
 65946ff1fdefe7838707b2ac026614edafb0c686507e64e3c6f03f8b90fe622d 22094 mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1_amd64.buildinfo
Files:
 7b25377da897a09f12fe84251c144bdd 3101 utils optional mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.dsc
 af3118668f3f79da9b116f915bf1eb8a 20308964 utils optional mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg.orig.tar.xz
 560705db26f30e7f8a86d69440c7ce0e 134012 utils optional mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
 f581f6fcb8ff6be65f11e498a7f3022c 22094 utils optional mozc_2.28.4715.102+dfsg-1_amd64.buildinfo

Subject: mozc: depends on deprecated GTK 2
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 11:55:43 +0100

Source: mozc
Severity: normal

Regards,
    smcv

---

From: Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 01:47:42 +0100

Control: reopen -1

The fix of this bug was reverted in mozc 2.28.4715.102+dfsg-2.1 due to 
<https://bugs.debian.org/1023525>, so reopening.

-- 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

---

From: Bastian Germann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:53:10 +0200

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 08:04:42 +0900 SHITAMORI Akira wrote:> Upstream has 
moved to QT based

Seems like the build system has to be switched over to bazel to build 
everything including moz_renderer with Qt.